Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/14 20:43:57 UTC

List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Hi,

In order to graduate, we have to prepare a list of initial PMC members.  Apache has a precedence of removing folks inactive during incubation from the project’s PMC.  Erik tallied up activity of commits and emails from our team list at [1].

Here is the list of folks who never got their Apache accounts set up to participate during incubation at all.  Reply soon if you wish to remain on the PMC after graduation.  Even then, there is a chance some higher authority at Apache will remove you.

Adam Flater
Anatole Tartakovsky
Ben Kolin
Gabor Csomak
Pratyoosh Sharma

Next is the list of folks who have been the least active.  Again, if you want to remain on the PMC after graduation, reply now, and again, some higher authority may still have you removed.

Garth Braithwaite
Greg Owen
Jeff Boothe
Jon Rose
Michael Jordan
Michelle Yaiser
Stephen Gilson

Remember, even if you are not on the list as we graduate you can always re-gain your status by contributing in the future, and we are thankful for any support you have given to Flex in the past or will in the future.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/flex/team.html

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...there is a chance some higher authority at Apache will remove you....

In theory yes, in practice this is extremely unlikely.

Technically you're right that it's the ASF board of directors who
approves the creation of a project and its list of PMC members, but
unless there's something very wrong with a suggested PMC member the
board is not going to look at how people have gained sufficient merit
to be in there, that's really this project's call.

In about ten years at the ASF I don't think I've seen a single PMC
member being questioned by the board at project creation time, so the
probability is low.

-Bertrand

Re: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Sugan Naicker <Su...@dev-x.co.za> wrote:
> ...Please keep me on the list...

As AFAIK you're not a committer I imagine you're asking to stay
subscribed to this list - that's not the issue.

Alex was just talking about who from the
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/team.html list is going to stay on
the Flex committers and PMC rosters once the project graduates to
flex.apache.org.

Everybody's welcome to stay subscribed to this list, as long as they
behave nicely ;-)

-Bertrand

RE: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Sugan Naicker <Su...@Dev-X.co.za>.
Hi,

Please keep me on the list.

Regards,

Sugan Naicker
Dev-X Digital Solutions (Pty) Ltd
'Interactive Application, Mobile, Web & eLearning Development'
Cell 	: 083-441-6346
Fax 	: 0866-170-114
Email	: Sugan@Dev-X.co.za

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
You don't have to get anything checked in by the graduation date, it is more
whether you still want to be involved.  I will put you on the list, although
the higher authorities may still cull the list.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

> If I recall correctly, we've only not elevated directly to PMC in a small
> handful of occasions, when the new committers had not yet actually
> contributed patches but were working on big code grants/contributions to
> the project. I believe it was encouraged and most people were voted
> directly as PPMC/committers.

Not true.  It was exactly the opposite of what you describe here.  There
was pretty much a consensus that we should make them committers-only first.
  And then elevate them to PPMC members if they continue to show that they
care about Apache Flex.
If you want to go into details about who you think they were, IMHO, we
should take the conversation into the flex-private list.

> > There are a fairly significant number of non-coders in the current PMC.
> >  Maybe they should actively recruit folks that do interaction design,
> > evangelism, etc.  The lack of such activity does not mean that we should
> > not invite new coders/committers into Apache Flex.
> >

> I don't think anyone has ever proposed stopping the invitations of new
> committers. I believe its encouraged to add as many as are actively
> participating and contributing to the project as we can find that are
> active and accepting of the invitation.

The implication was that since the PMC consists of mostly coders, only
coders are being invited into the PMC.  That is the point I was trying to
counter.  If non-coder-PMC members were more active, we probably will not
have such an imbalance.  One of the stated responsibilities of a PMC member
is to actively look for new people to add to the project who will advance
the project.

> > More of both is what we need.  I have personally reached out to
> non-coders
> > who have been active on this list to see if they are interested in
> becoming
> > PPMC members.  And we should all be doing that regularly.
> >

> Sure, it just takes a simple nomination by PPMC members, that's never been
> discouraged that I recall.
>

> > But this is tangential to the current discussion.  Erik raises a valid
> > question here.  We are at the cusp of graduating and we need to figure
> out
> > what standards we want an Apache Flex PMC member should be held to.  Lets
> > all agree to a standard and start adhering to it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Om
> >

> What standards? The decision of whether or not they should be a (P)PMC
> member is always done at the time of voting them in as new ppmc/committers.
> Once they're voted in there's no real standard, that is why people aren't
> really removed once they're committers. People earn their way in with
> activity and a vote in, and after being voted in, for whatever kind of life
> reasons their activity reduces there aren't demotions or removal of
> peoples, so I don't see the necessity for a defined standard for PMC
> members. It really all comes down to the vote when they're added.

The question is what are the standards?  The answer could very well be
'there are no standards'.  But as you say, an invitation is put forth based
on a person's level of activity and attitude shown in the list.  So, there
is an implicit 'standard' we want PPMC members to adhere to.

The immediate question for us is should we apply the same 'standard' to the
initial list of committers and PPMC members.  That is what we need to
decide as a team.

And as Alex mentioned, this is a pretty standard process that takes place
when a podling graduates into an Apache top level project.    The initial
committer list is culled during this transition.  Again, this is not a
demotion - if the person is really interested, they can contribute to Flex
and be invited again.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

> Am I wrong here? Glad we're keeping some mentors around for these
> discussions, maybe they can chime in a little bit here.
>
> -Omar
The mentors have seen the table of member activity, and proposed that we
copy what Stanbol did in terms of pinging inactive members, and that had a
relatively low bar as far as what it would take to be included on the
charter as a PMC member.

The draft of the charter will include the two so far who raised their hand
and I'm sure the mentors will advise us if we should not include them.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>Just to be clear, I'm not trying to kick anybody out. I only think it's
>fair that we hold the PMC members to the same standards as we do
>prospective committers, don't you?

Well, to be fair, I sort of actually hate that too...

What does it mean to commit time to a project like this? Is it only code commits that count? That seems like a narrow vision of what's important to a project like this.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Thursday, November 15, 2012, Erik de Bruin wrote:

> Just to be clear, I'm not trying to kick anybody out. I only think it's
> fair that we hold the PMC members to the same standards as we do
> prospective committers, don't you?
>
> EdB

I remember a mentor saying you have to do something pretty terrible to be
removed once you're in, if that's true then I would say no it's not the
same as when we are considering new committers.

-Omar

Re: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 11/15/12 4 :44PM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>Just to be clear, I'm not trying to kick anybody out. I only think it's
>fair that we hold the PMC members to the same standards as we do
>prospective committers, don't you?

I don't think it works that way.  Once you're a committer you're in,
except perhaps if your behavior is so destructive to the community you are
asked to leave.

How do you hold someone to those standards and not kick them out if the
standards aren't met?

Carol

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/16/12 4:15 AM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> It looks like I won't spend more time on Flex. Feel free to remove me.
IMO, you earned your way in, and even if you can't be active in the near
future, who knows what a more distant future will hold.  Committer-hood,
once earned, does not expire.  I'm planning on keeping you on the list.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Bertrand's post is much better than the similar in substance one that I composed but had not edited last night.

I can say from experience that [1] is well worth watching. I really like how this community self-innoculates.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: List of Inactive Apache Flex PPMC Members

Posted by Michael Jordan <mi...@adobe.com>.