Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com> on 2003/04/09 20:52:34 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] referencing without using explicit filenames... .

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:21, George Gallen wrote:
> where is the range of bytes specified?

  I would suspect from the mmenu1 program accessed by adv1.html and
  passed SEL.x=125&SEL.... parameters.

> The "http://URL/adv1.html?PROGRAM=mmenu1&SEL.x=125&SEL.
>   is the referrer page?

  yes.

> I can't control what is after the ? it's the values from
> within my form.
>
> But I don't understand is why does it work when it's called
> from within the LAN (using the computer's actual name in the
> URL), but doesn't work when called using the internet (using
> the hostname assigned to the firewall/router which routes
> to the internal name using a 2nd NIC.

  Because they are not proceeding through the same path.  Your example
  url http://URL/aardvarkhmmm.jpg resulted in this access log entry:

  " 64.12.96.233 - george [09/Apr/2003:11:48:46 -0400] "GET
/aardvarkhmmm.jpg HTTP/1.1" 206 12772
"http://URL/adv1.html?PROGRAM=mmenu1&SEL.x=125&SEL....." which clearly
shows a different process is being used to answer the query then when
you access the picture via the local host name.  If the request
http://URL/aardvarkhmmm.jpg went straight to the filesystem and
retrieved the image, it would have worked the same from both urls and
you would not have a referer entry for that access.

  I have no idea what mmenu1 is, or its purpose, but it appears
  to be generating the range request.

  HTH