Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/03 22:08:55 UTC

Fw: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

FYI, Another Vote coming up - 16 Jul, 2007

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:25 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> Yep...Im on this one, so definitely spell out how we (Apache) will
>> proceed.
>
> Two random observations;
>
> "This JSR will not itself define any new APIs, rather it will
> enumerate APIs
> defined in other JSRs or through the JCP maintenance process."

That is not really accurate.  This spec defines the application
client api and common stuff like how JNDI and annotations work in the
platform.

-dain

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
We've been through this discussion...see my previous email on "please
ignore" ;-)

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
This is a few days old due to moderation of the iPhone ;-) We are past
this on another thread so please ignore it ;-)

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> writes:

> On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> I don't know why Geir didn't JFDI this into action yesterday, but I
>> suspect peer pressure played a large role in his selection of a
>> mediocre "abstain" over an IMO truly excellent "no".
>
> Well, a bunch of reasons.
>
> First, "no" should be part of a general plan, which I had planned for
> later on this summer.  Ah well.  If we're going to go "no", we go all
> in.

For me the "go all in" moment happened when we published the
letter.  If I didn't feel that way I wouldn't be subscribed
to this mailing list.  I am still bothered by the fact that
we haven't managed to do much in the way of consequences
regarding Sun's failure to respond to us.

I agree we shouldn't act out of anger, but I disagree that
waiting much longer to make some changes in how we conduct
ourselves is in the best interests of the foundation.

> Also,  I represent the ASF, and it's good to see ASF community
> engagement (as a general thing).
>
> I thought our engagement on this issue was horrendous in it's
> substance, but hey, that's just my POV.
>
> (And if I voted "no", I would have been told that I wasn't a proper little
> consensus-gatherer.... )

Sure, but we aren't a democracy.  It's *merit* that is the
criterion we use to make decisions, not popularity.  It
would have been perfectly Apache-like to conclude that
abstaining had less merit than voting no, even if that
wound up upsetting many people on this list.  This list
isn't a recognized group of decision-makers at the ASF,
it's just a discussion list.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 8:04 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> Is another open letter called for to let them know what is coming? Is
>> there anything we can do to try and get other voters to take a
>> similar
>> line?
>
> Sun is quite capable of reading this mailing list, so we don't need
> to send them another invitation.  I don't know why Geir didn't JFDI
> this into action yesterday, but I suspect peer pressure played a
> large role in his selection of a mediocre "abstain" over an IMO
> truly excellent "no".

Well, a bunch of reasons.

First, "no" should be part of a general plan, which I had planned for
later on this summer.  Ah well.  If we're going to go "no", we go all
in.

Also,  I represent the ASF, and it's good to see ASF community
engagement (as a general thing).  I thought our engagement on this
issue was horrendous in it's substance, but hey, that's just my POV.

(And if I voted "no", I would have been told that I wasn't a proper
little consensus-gatherer.... )

(Sun is reading this list.)

geir

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:17 PM, "Justin Erenkrantz"
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> On 7/3/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> I completely concur that only Geir could make the decision based on
>> several different points of view expressed over 24-48 hours, and only
>> Jeff will be in a position to make a decision on JSR 316 under the
>> advice and suggestions he sees on this thread.
>
> I don't think that's quite accurate.  AIUI, the votes are cast by the
> JCP Executive Committee (of which Geir is the ASF's representative) -
> not by proposed Expert Groups.  So, the responsibility for the
> decision is with Geir - not Jeff.  If I'm wrong, *please* correct me.
> -- justin

Certainly very possible ;-)  I just believe that when this is voted as
a JSR, I will hopefully be the Apache guy ;-)

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:17 PM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 7/3/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> I completely concur that only Geir could make the decision based on
>> several different points of view expressed over 24-48 hours, and only
>> Jeff will be in a position to make a decision on JSR 316 under the
>> advice and suggestions he sees on this thread.
>
> I don't think that's quite accurate.  AIUI, the votes are cast by the
> JCP Executive Committee (of which Geir is the ASF's representative) -
> not by proposed Expert Groups.  So, the responsibility for the
> decision is with Geir - not Jeff.  If I'm wrong, *please* correct me.
> -- justin

I guess it depends what votes we're talking about.

Assuming that Jeff's spec lead allows votes (and Sun has led JSRs
where there were no such civilities), then Jeff should be casting
votes w/in the EG.

When the spec reaches a milestone i the process, then the Exec
Committee votes, on which the ASF has a seat, to which I represent
the ASF.

geir

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:16 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> writes:
>>
>>> Is another open letter called for to let them know what is
>>> coming? Is
>>> there anything we can do to try and get other voters to take a
>>> similar
>>> line?
>>
>> Sun is quite capable of reading this mailing list, so we don't need
>> to send them another invitation.  I don't know why Geir didn't JFDI
>> this into action yesterday, but I suspect peer pressure played a
>> large role in his selection of a mediocre "abstain" over an IMO
>> truly excellent "no".
>
> I completely concur that only Geir could make the decision based on
> several different points of view expressed over 24-48 hours, and only
> Jeff will be in a position to make a decision on JSR 316 under the
> advice and suggestions he sees on this thread.

LOL. Stop.  You're making my tummy hurt.  That's why we have a board
meeting on monday, right?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.
I did my best to summarize the crux of the matter though I could not
pretend to not have an opinion (for it is one I've long held).  I also
wrote those I quoted including Mr. Sundstrom to verify they did not feel
their quotes had been misused.  Sam didn't reply which means he
absolutely sees himself as analogous to Ronald Reagan.  I'll happily
summarize informed counterpoints as they occur.

I applaud Sam for gathering the thoughts of others to advise the board
as well as pinging those who weren't paying attention.

Posted by Tim Bray <Ti...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
>> So, to vote to proceed here, we are basically ratifying that we accept the
>> various situations at those other JSRs.  This gets complicated.
>
> It's not complicated at all if you just vote "no" on any Sun-led spec
> until they are in compliance with the JSPA.  We don't need to draft
> an expansive JCP policy to determine how to vote on such JSRs.

+1. As my understanding of how the JCP works grows, the more
approriate this approach seems. It also provides a way forward in
light of the complete lack of response to our open letter.

Is another open letter called for to let them know what is coming? Is
there anything we can do to try and get other voters to take a similar
line?

Mark

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:
>
>> So, to vote to proceed here, we are basically ratifying that we
>> accept the
>> various situations at those other JSRs.  This gets complicated.
>
> It's not complicated at all if you just vote "no" on any Sun-led spec
> until they are in compliance with the JSPA.  We don't need to draft
> an expansive JCP policy to determine how to vote on such JSRs.

Nope. :)

geir

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> Yep...Im on this one, so definitely spell out how we (Apache) will proceed.

Two random observations;

"This JSR will not itself define any new APIs, rather it will enumerate APIs
defined in other JSRs or through the JCP maintenance process."

So, to vote to proceed here, we are basically ratifying that we accept the
various situations at those other JSRs.  This gets complicated.

"Java EE 6 is the Enterprise Edition of version 6 of the Java platform, and thus
will be built on Java SE 6."

So are we having FOU issues with J2SE 6 or only J2SE 5?

Re: JSR 316: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Specification

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.