Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> on 2017/07/12 21:48:48 UTC

Re: Propose BI-WEEKLY "Technical Exchange" Zoom meeting for OpenWhisk staring next Wed. 19th

After delays for various reasons, I would very much like to propose we
"kick off" the "Tech. Interchange" calls starting next Wednesday at 11am
US EDT (am open to 10am US EDT if the PDT people have no problem) next
week July 19th. Using Zoom as the meeting app. which allows us to see each
other, share materials and of course record for playbacks from our YouTube
channel.  See all the proposed details from earlier post below...

The call I propose would be Bi-Weekly (not weekly) to begin with (see if
we need more/less over time and add other times for other geos. as we are
able to add volunteer moderators).

For the first agenda it would be nice to have introductions and propose
the following general agenda format/template with attendees offering
updates/topic discussion in the following areas:

- main/core OpenWhisk
- Kube/Mesos/Compose (Deployment)
- API Gateway
- Catalog/Packages/Samples
- Tooling/Utils
- prepared agenda topics (solicited and encouraged from the "dev" list
primarily)
* including education topics we would like to propose. e.g., Request trace
through system, debugging/logs, etc.
- "at large" / open topics submitted on "dev" list or observe on Slack,
etc.

My plan would be to post the bi-weekly agenda by EOD Monday of the same
week on the "dev" list and use Slack as secondary posting mechanism and
provide reminders on Slack as well before meeting starts.

Everyone would be invited to speak up if they are working on an
interesting topic in any area. I am also hoping to encourage
education/discussion agenda topics (e.g., on debugging, logging, testing,
feature change demos, etc.).

Of course, I will record, post video to OW YouTube channel and upload
notes (attendance topics) to our OW CWIKI.

The Zoom info would be as follows:

Topic: Apache OpenWhisk "Tech. Interchange" (bi-weekly) Zoom Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/my/asfopenwhisk

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +16465588656,,5043933185# or
+14086380968,,5043933185#

Or Telephone:
    Dial: +1 646 558 8656 (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
    Meeting ID: 504 393 3185
    International numbers available:
https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=T4Ycc4hVdhvPkjU0ZjPjwtzOUOtbAH5W

I would moderate the first call and ask Jeremias/Carlos/Rodric/Dragos/etc.
or any other PPMC member to share in moderating future bi-weekly calls.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Matt Rutkowski/Austin/IBM
To:     dev@openwhisk.incubator.apache.org
Date:   06/07/2017 10:08 AM
Subject:        Propose weekly "Technical Exchange" video meeting for
OpenWhisk

Hi Whiskers!

Having attended all the amazing and inspiring sessions at ApacheCon a few
weeks ago and wanting to enable our growing community with better ways to
foster technical interchange, I would like to propose we work towards
having weekly

Here are my thoughts on such a meeting…

- 1 hour meeting, with agenda to be solicited from community in advance
- pool of volunteer “moderators” to facilitate the call and cover the
agenda topics
- Use video/presentation sharing application with world-wide access such
as Zoom
- Alternate meeting times morning / evening (~12 hour differential )
allowing world-wide (geo.) participation
- Post recordings of meetings and link from website (with agenda) for
offline access (and for new contributor education)
- Cultivate agenda topics on our Confluence Wiki and confirm a few days in
advance

Topics would range from…

- Educational: “how does this component work?”, “how to debug this?”, etc.

- Feature / idea discussion:  **non-binding** discussion of anyone’s ideas
to make any part of the project code “better”, more “pluggable” or
integrateable, etc.
    + of course, we would want to move/capture such discussions to “dev”
list (binding) and share/develop designs on our Confluence Wiki, as well
as move to GitHub epics/issues once consensus is reached
- Serverless Community: Share experiences on Serverless (conferences,
meetups, etc.) and what is going on in the Serverless space to raise
awareness
- Social: Just get to know each other (and perhaps associate voices and
faces with people we are working with)
- Connecting: Greet new people and hear their interest and help them
connect with others.
- Volunteers: identify key code work areas where we need help and seek
volunteers.

Before we event start we would need to…

- Have an initial pool of volunteer moderators (of course I would
volunteer to be one and help jump start the processes)
- Develop a list of agenda topics here on mailing lists and CWIKI that is
large enough to start the first meeting and have enough topics to keep it
going

Please provide feedback on this proposal as I would welcome any support
and ideas that could make this better if we agree this is a good idea.

Cheers!
Matt