Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by amit pal <am...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/25 11:09:02 UTC

Understanding and Contributing to Flink

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the Flink documentation and the mail list discussions
since last two days, but haven't completely got hold of what all is there
in Flink.

My next step is to start with the examples present on github.

Can someone give me a gist of what Flink is all about and some details of
the internals?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Amit Pal

Re: Understanding and Contributing to Flink

Posted by Max Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Amit,

Extensions of Flink should go in the flink-contrib project. Try
implementing a simple algorithm for your first task. If you extend it
and it becomes useful for other people besides you, make a pull
request via GitHub, so other people can check it out.

Your general understanding if the Flink architecture is correct. Of
course there are many more details. The compiler generates the plan
and optimizes it using estimates of the data input/data generation
processes within a Flink job. The schedule within the job manager then
distributes the individual tasks that are extracted from the plan.

Best regards,
Max

Posted by amit pal <am...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,