Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/29 03:00:07 UTC

Progress Bar

guys,

is there a component available for tap3 for a progress bar or anything
else which can help me display a progress bar.

now i am thinking of generating something myself using a frames and
constantly updating the main page with the status (1%, 50%, 100% and
so on). this can be using either css or something else. but if there
is something within tapestry i can use, it would save me time.

any ideas.

Re: Progress Bar -- A comment, a request, and an offer

Posted by Patrick Moore <pm...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jesse --

First thanks for all your hard work on bringing dojo to Tapestry 4.1 I look
forward to using it in the next couple of weeks.

(A comment)

I understand Mark's perspective. Companies and teams that made a commitment to
Tapestry had to sell Tapestry to their managers over Struts/JSP/etc. The
Tapestry team needs to reward and encourage them so the users take their
Tapestry expertise and positive experiences forward to other projects, and
managers let them use Tapestry. Its not just the code-its the support and
community.

The thing that turned me on to Tapestry was not the software archicture but
rather Howard's commitment to clear error messages and comments in the code. I
can't tell you how many hours I have wasted trying to figure out a problem that
could have been saved if the original coder had spent the 13 seconds to write
something/anything about *why* he did what he did. I have never had that
problem with Tapestry. I will always chose less-than-perfect and no frustration
over perfect and frustration. I suspect I am not alone.

(A request)
The documentation does need to be improved. I would love it if some of the
information flowing on this list would end up on the website.

Is it possible for the website/documentation to be broken out so that others
could help update it?

(and an offer)
If that is done I would love to contribute in the documentation arena.

Thanks,

-Pat

Re: Progress Bar

Posted by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com>.
perhaps i shouldnt have raised this in the first place.

RE: Progress Bar

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.
Jesse,
Don't misunderstand me, I wasn't asking anyone to support T3 anymore than they already are, which is mainly bug fixing and answering questions.  I believe that Spindle for T3 and T4 is pretty much dead.  T5 will be a whole new beast and maybe there will be some tool support then.  As far as components for T3, we who are still on T3 are on our own.

I believe you have your hands full with T4.  When T5 comes out maybe someone will want to create a tool then, I guess we will have to wait and see.

regards,

Mark

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

RE: Progress Bar

Re: Progress Bar

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

RE: Progress Bar

Posted by Mark Stang <ms...@pingidentity.com>.
Some of us have a large projects.  Or could it be that Tapestry > 3.999999999999 is so unstable as to be not worth the effort.   First, there isn't a Spindle product, then there is and now there isn't.  Then 4.x is the Holy Grail of web frameworks until Howard starts making is so incompatible with 3.x that he has to divide it into 4.x and 5.x.  And of the three which is compatible with the others?  NONE!!!  So, do we upgrade to 4.x and then later to 5.x or do we skip 4.x because 5.x is coming soon and who wants to repeat the same upgrade twice or do we sit on 3.x and wait for the dust to settle.  And it is so much fun knowing that we are on a DEAD branch with no new components or real enhancements.

Re: Progress Bar

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.