Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Xie, David (IPCG-NJ)" <xi...@exchange.ml.com> on 2002/03/08 20:49:34 UTC

sent request to servlet from VB

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to call a servlet from VB code?  I want to sent the request from IIS to Tomcat without using isapi_redirect.dll.  Is possible to do this?  I look forward to your suggestions.

thanks,

David

Re: sent request to servlet from VB

Posted by John Austin <jo...@integerservices.no-ip.com>.
On Friday 08 March 2002 14:49, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to call a servlet from VB code?  I want to sent
> the request from IIS to Tomcat without using isapi_redirect.dll.  Is
> possible to do this?  I look forward to your suggestions.

You need to be able to open a socket connection to the appropriate port
on the appropriate server. Then you send an HTTP message that looks
like:

	"GET /servletNameFromTheURL HTTP/1.0"

followed by several lines of the appropriate HTTP headers. The server
will respond by sending a response containing headers followed by some
data. The server will finish up by closing the connection.

You can do this from VB code. The only question is what level of
technical sophistication you bring to the keyboard. You might check out
some Visual Basic resources on the net. There is almost no difference
between communicating with a servlet and communicating with most other
forms of web resource (speed of the response might be better than an
equivalent CGI). You need to understand how to send an HTTP request and
how to receive and process the server's HTTP response.