Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/10/19 12:54:29 UTC

Downloading OFBiz

I've recently got some feedback from different people interested in
evaluating OFBiz, plus other interesting comments in these lists
(problems downloading by svn when the bandwidth is poor)... it seems
that many of they had problems to find an easy way to download OFBiz.

I think that we should provide an easy way to download (by ftp) a
compressed archive to the ones that are just interested in evaluating
the product.

Of course, as soon as the version 4.0 will be officially released, they
will have a file to download; however I don't think that the release 4.0
will be the right version to consider for an evaluation... the trunk is
the best option and we should encourage people to see it in action.

A simple solution is this: create a weekly or, better (as suggested by
Jacques), monthly svn snapshot (svn export), then compress it and
publish it somewhere in a very visible area of the main page of the
website; we could also provide a link to the "main new features of the
month" (e.g. http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/-Qs).

What do you think?

Jacopo

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Looks like very promising.

Thanks Adam !

Jacques

De : "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>
> Vince M. Clark wrote:
> > +1 for packaging! Ultimately it is important to support as many platforms as possible, but Debian is a great start.
> >
> > What OfBiz "version" do you base your packages on? Also, do you assume a particular database, or require one as a package
dependency? Does your packaging provide any "smart" setup such as prompting for database username/pw?

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz with minimal prerequisites WAS: [Re: Downloading OFBiz]

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Just a note on the "build.xml Still Not Working" thread
The problem was not that ofbiz was not ready to run
but that the user attempted to change the OOTB configuration and was
having problems.

Possibly an update to the configuration page would clear this up.

Gavin Bee sent the following on 10/21/2007 9:10 AM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
LGTM (Looks good to me) ;-)

Thanks Jacques!

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jacopo,

I believe my last version http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/Kww (KISS enhanced) is better, WDYTF ?

Jacques

PS : this is really interesting to not overlook new features added. I invite everybody (specifically contributors and commiters) to
look at it and add comments if needed (if you see something you think important forgotten or put in the last features group : Misc)

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jacopo,

After a short night, I agree. I was in doubt yesterday, but it's clear this morning.
I will just refined the list based page (using 2 or more levels like I did for widgets)
We may wait a bit for other opinions, though...

Jacques

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jacques,

De : "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
+1 for packaging! Ultimately it is important to support as many platforms as possible, but Debian is a great start.

What OfBiz "version" do you base your packages on? Also, do you assume a particular database, or require one as a package dependency? Does your packaging provide any "smart" setup such as prompting for database username/pw?

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
vclark@globalera.com
(303) 493-6723

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
This could even be an ant target in the top level build.xml file.

-David

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
if only there were as many people to do the work that suggest the work
:)

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 10/25/2007 5:46 PM:

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "Jonathon -- Improov" <jo...@improov.com>

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Having both will be good.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi Jonathon,

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacques is right.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Not everybody use Debian

Jacques

De : "Adam Heath" <do...@brainfood.com>

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
guo weizhan wrote:
> +2  :)
>
> 2007/10/19, Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>:
>> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>> What do you think?
>> apt-get install ofbiz
>>
>> We(brainfood) have been doing that locally since february.

To expand on this:  it depends on mysql or postgres.  It uses
dbconfig-common, to prompt for the database to use.  In addition to the
2 above, it also allows you to select derby.  Then it asks for the
username/password(generating the latter randomly if not given).  It
creates a seed data file on the fly, to handle certain parameters that
need to be changed(ofbiz@yahoo.com, password for the admin accounts, etc).

The only thing it doesn't do is actually do the initial database
creation/installation.  It does print out the cmdline needed to do that;
I just haven't finished the logic to run that only during initial installs.

There is a proper init script, and ofbiz runs as a separate user(I bet
you can guess which).

Files are stored correctly for FHS; /var/log /usr/share /etc.

I'm fairly happy with the packaging, except for the one item listed above.

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by guo weizhan <gu...@gmail.com>.
+2  :)

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Adam Heath wrote:
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>
>> What do you think?
>
> apt-get install ofbiz
>
> We(brainfood) have been doing that locally since february.

Interesting idea but... isn't this for Linux only?

Jacopo

Re: Downloading OFBiz

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Re: Downloading OFBiz