Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Fleming, Scott A" <sc...@hp.com> on 2007/03/26 19:40:30 UTC

Can you use Jmeter to play back HTTP headers?

Good morning.

Quick question - or so I hope.

It is possible using Jmeter to replay only http headers?

I see how you can replay access logs by using the Access Log Sampler but
for our testing environment I have data pre-processed from the log files
in the format below that I would like to replay.  I understand there
will be no time stamp so it will be played back sequentially, but I can
not seem to get it to work using Jmeter 2.2 at this time.

I've also looked at using the CSV Data Set Config but I'm not even sure
it is reading the file.  I'm not even sure if it is finding the file to
load in as the aggregate report yields nothing.  When using the access
log sampler I see the filename has a browse button by it, yet CSV data
set config does not so I used the fully qualified name c:\documents and
settings\my documents\filename.csv.

Thanks for any information.  Have a good day.

http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectI
D=bpy40212
<http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&object
ID=bpy40212>
http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectI
D=bpy40888
<http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&object
ID=bpy40888>
http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectI
D=bpy10200
<http://not.a.valid.url.net/biz-buz/TS/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&object
ID=bpy10200>

Re: Can you use Jmeter to play back HTTP headers?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Not sure I understand the reference to playing back HTTP headers.

However you can certainly use CSV Dataset to read from a file and set
up variables that can be used in the HTTP samplers.

The HTTP Samplers require the URL to be broken down into their
constituent parts, so you will need to process the file data before
use.

I would probably start by extracting any common fields, e.g. if the
hostname and protocol are always the same, then define those in an
HTTP Request Defaults element.

There is no need to extract the query parameters; you should be able
to just use the path + query string in the path field and leave the
parameters field empty.

S.