Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sakshi Kaul <Sa...@kpitcummins.com> on 2009/10/23 07:04:54 UTC

SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Hi,

We are using SVN for Configuration Management and one of our project team is facing an issue while committing to SVN.

Issue: DATABSE SISK IMAEG MALFORMED
Please have a look at screen shot below.

[cid:image001.png@01CA53DD.3924A0A0]

Please help us on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Sakshi Kaul

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/10/23 Sakshi Kaul <Sa...@kpitcummins.com>:
> Hi Vishwas,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> We are using 1.6.5 version of tortoise SVN.
>
> Please let me know the forum of torotise SVN where I can put up this issue.

1. I think that it is not TortoiseSVN issue
(and I think that from TortoiseSVN maillist you will be redirected back here),
as the line below "(details follow)" usually quotes a reply from
subversion libraries.

Please install command-line svn client and try to reproduce the issue
there. You can get one following the links here:
http://subversion.tigris.org/getting.html#windows

(the latest version is 1.6.6)

The manual is here: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
Quick help is available by running  svn help commandname

2. It looks like a server-side issue. Please tell us:
1) what protocol you are using to connect to the server
  (file:, http:, https:, svn:)
2) what software is installed on the server
 (OS, what version of subversion)
3) some details of your server repository configuration,
 starting with whether it is using FSFS or BDB repository format.

I think that others will ask further questions.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Sakshi Kaul
<Sa...@kpitcummins.com>wrote:

> [...]

<us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org>

Web url for forum:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewForumSummary.do?dsForumId=4061

Posted by Sakshi Kaul <Sa...@kpitcummins.com>.
Hi Vishwas,

Thanks for the response.

We are using 1.6.5 version of tortoise SVN.

Please let me know the forum of torotise SVN where I can put up this issue.

Thanks a lot for the support.

Thanks & Regards,
Sakshi Kaul
Productivity Management Group.

+91-9657702154 | dextrous85@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com> | http://singhvishwajeet.com

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aneth101 <dt...@gmail.com>.
Are you that retarded to redirect a guy requesting help to another product
when it is coming from SVN?

Learn the tool instead of posting retarded posts ass!

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Sakshi Kaul!

Posted by Phil Cairns <ph...@pagaros.com.au>.
> > I guess the next thing to do is to try and keep the repository on my
> > windows machine and make backups to the NAS, but I'm not keen on this.
I'm
> > going research git over the next couple of days, and if the problem
> > persists, see if it's worth switching.

> I think when you move from the NAS to keeping the repository on the
> Windows box, you'll see the problem disappear. Accessing repositories
> over shares is known to be a problem due to how locking and other
> mechanisms operate on some network filesharing protocols (and even
> certain versions of those protocols, or certain configurations of
> them).
>
> The advice generally is "don't do that" - it's not really a supported
> configuration. Keep your repository local to the server process
> itself.

The problem first began when the svnserve -d was running on the NAS itself,
where it was accessing local storage. Pulling the server over to the Windows
box hasn't made a difference. While I understand what you're saying, and I'm
going to pull everything over to Windows next, the problem arose before I
made that change.

Phil.

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/10 Kurt Pruenner <le...@gmx.at>:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> 1. I suggest reading the following MySQL document:
>> "6.0 How To Corrupt Your Database Files"
>> http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html#how_to_corrupt
> [...]
>> 2. My understanding is that MySQL is used in 1.6 for a supplementary
>> task, that is implementing the "Sharing multiple common
>> representations" feature,
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.6_releasenotes.html#filesystem-improvements
>
> I think you meant to say "SQLite" there (it's even in your first link),
> not "MySQL":

Yes, it was a typo: I meant SQLite everywhere above. Thank you for correction.

> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Kurt Pruenner <le...@gmx.at>.
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 1. I suggest reading the following MySQL document:
> "6.0 How To Corrupt Your Database Files"
> http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html#how_to_corrupt
[...]
> 2. My understanding is that MySQL is used in 1.6 for a supplementary
> task, that is implementing the "Sharing multiple common
> representations" feature,
> http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.6_releasenotes.html#filesystem-improvements

I think you meant to say "SQLite" there (it's even in your first link),
not "MySQL":

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/9 Phil Cairns <ph...@pagaros.com.au>:
>> 2009/10/23 Sakshi Kaul <Sa...@kpitcummins.com>
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We are using SVN for Configuration Management and one of our project team is facing an issue while committing to SVN.
>> >
>> > Issue: DATABASE DISK IMAGE MALFORMED
>
> [snip]
>
>> I have done some search on what other SQLite users do in such a
>> case (not Subversion users, but those, who use the SQLite database directly).
>
> [snip]
>
>> Thus the only way is to create a new subversion repository and restore
>> it from your backups.
>>
>> Even if you do not have backups, I think that the current repository
>> is still readable. You can try to create a copy of it, using svnadmin
>> dump + load, or svnsync. See the SVN Book for details.
>
> I, too, have this problem, and I've been able to restore the repository to a correct state by dumping and reloading. However, this is getting painful as I'm only getting a couple of commits before the error arises again. It only started when I decided to upgrade to 1.6 of svn. Up until that point, I was running with 1.4 on my QNAP NAS.
>
> I figured that the problem may have been with the NAS (running svnserve -d), so I moved the server process from the NAS to my Windows development machine (using VisualSVN Server), and pointing that at the repository on the NAS (using a UNC path to the repository).
>
> I see this problem whether I'm using VisualSVN from within Visual Studio, TortoiseSVN from the Explorer, or svn directly from a Cygwin command line.
>
> It looks like this:
> $ svn ci ftpbackup/syncremote.py
> Sending        ftpbackup/syncremote.py
> Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: database disk image is malformed
> svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> svn:    '/cygdrive/d/Projects05/MVP2/ftpbackup/svn-commit.tmp'
>
> I'd have to regard this as a server problem, not a client problem.
>
> I guess the next thing to do is to try and keep the repository on my windows machine and make backups to the NAS, but I'm not keen on this. I'm going research git over the next couple of days, and if the problem persists, see if it's worth switching.
>
> Regards,
> Phil.

1. I suggest reading the following MySQL document:
"6.0 How To Corrupt Your Database Files"
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html#how_to_corrupt

I found it following the links from the FAQ entry I mentioned earlier.

The main point I see there is that fsync() should function properly.

As you are repeatedly seeing this issue, you may want to run the svn
testsuite on your platform, to make sure it functions properly. Cannot
help with that, though.

2. My understanding is that MySQL is used in 1.6 for a supplementary
task, that is implementing the "Sharing multiple common
representations" feature,
http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.6_releasenotes.html#filesystem-improvements

That DB is used only at write time. That is why the broken repository
is still readable. It was good to hear that you were actually able to
read (dump) the data.

I think that "sharing representations" feature can be disabled. Also,
maybe there is a way to recreate that MySQL database from a
repository. I have not done that, so do not know. With a quick look
through the SVNBook nightly, I did not find anything on this topic
there.

The things would be worse in 1.7, where a MySQL db will play a more
important role.

3. Regarding a repository on a NAS network storage, I would agree with
"not recommended", but, more specifically:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#nfs

I also remember seeing some tips (a blog entry?) on how to configure a
svn repository so that different subdirectories of it are on different
file systems.   I cannot find that very recipe now, but at least here
are some links
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2008-01/0150.shtml
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Server_performance_tuning_for_Linux_and_Unix
http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#fsfs-isolate-immutable

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: SVN Error:"Database Disk image is malformed"

Posted by Phil Cairns <ph...@pagaros.com.au>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/10/23 Sakshi Kaul <Sa...@kpitcummins.com>

> Hi,
>
> We are using SVN for Configuration Management and one of our project team is facing an issue while committing to SVN.
>
> Issue: DATABASE DISK IMAGE MALFORMED
>
> Please have a look at screen shot below.
>
> Please help us on this.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Sakshi Kaul

The summary is the following:

1) Once you see the "Database disk image malformed" error, your
database is broken and cannot be fully repaired. See e.g.
http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q21

2) If you were using SQLite directly, you could recover *some* data
(some tables) from such broken database (using SQLite database dump
and load commands).  In your case that is unacceptable, because
subversion cannot use partial data. Full database recovery is still
not possible.

Thus the only way is to create a new subversion repository and restore
it from your backups.

Even if you do not have backups, I think that the current repository
is still readable. You can try to create a copy of it, using svnadmin
dump + load, or svnsync. See the SVN Book for details.

PS: When replying to this list, please explicitly include CC: to
users@subversion.tigris.org . Usually that is done by pressing "Reply
to All" in your e-mail program. Otherwise the reply will not reach the
List.

Best regards.
Konstantin Kolinko