Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Richard Savage <ri...@bzcorp.ca> on 2002/04/04 19:11:18 UTC

Problems with reverse proxy and Apache 1.3.2

Hi,

We have a setup where our Apache server is used as a reverse proxy to
get get dynamic content from an application server inside our network.

Until recently we were using version 1.3.14 without any problems. We
is an extract of our config: (simplified.. ;)

RewriteEngine   on
ProxyRequests   on
NoCache

RewriteRule             /static-contents/(.*)            /$1  [L]

RewriteRule             (.*)            http://<app server>$1  [P,L]
ProxyPassReverse        /               http://<app server>

We tested our setup with 1.3.24, and we started seing some very big
delay (about 60 seconds) for getting some contents from the app
server.

After some investigation, we found out that it was due partly to the
fact that since Apache is now sending a HTTP/1.1 proxy request, the
app server respond to it with a "Connection: Keep-Alive" Header.

The result is that the web server doesn't close the connection right
away, wait for a minutes and only then send the requested file to the
client.

We do want to migrate to 1.3.24 and take advantage of the new version.
Can you help me found out how we could get aound this problem ??

I want to be able to continue serving HTTP/1.1 but how can I make sure that when
 the app send back the content to the web servers, it get to the browser right away ?
Is it something broken in Apache ? How can I resolve it ?

Thanks !

Richard Savage