Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com> on 2011/09/23 07:20:39 UTC

discussion: video rentals

Now we can have rental products where the asset can be rented....

In this product type the product is a group of video rentals of the same
rental price referring to many video assets.

However now we also want to categorize these assets in order to display
them on the e-commerce website.

Is adding a fixedAssetid field to the ProductCategoryMember entity a
solution?

--
http://www.antwebsystems.com :
Quality OFBiz support for competitive rates....

Re: discussion: video rentals

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
The problem is, you are trying to mix the pricing model with the
product/fixed asset model. That will not work.

Here is how I would set things up based on my understanding of video
rentals:

[Products / Fixed Assets]

Product: Die Hard VHS Cassette
Product Categories: VHS, Action, Drama, Bruce Willis
Fixed Assets: 10009

Product: Die Hard DVD
Product Categories: DVD, Action, Drama, Bruce Willis
Fixed Assets: 10010, 10011, 1012

Product: Die Hard IIV DVD
Product Categories: New Releases, DVD, Action, Drama, Bruce Willis
Fixed Assets: 20020, 20021, 20022

[Pricing]

Product Category: VHS
Price: $1.00 per day

Product Category: DVD
Price: $1.50 per day

Product Category: New Releases
Price: $0.50 per day

-Adrian

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Hans,

Of course you know the business problem better than anyone else does, but
even so I tend to agree with Adrian.

It seems to me "DVD midlevel price" is a pricing rule, not a product. I may
well rent two instances of "DVD midlevel price" if they were different DVD
titles (e.g. Die Hard 1 and 2). It would be most unlikely that I'd want to
rent two instances of the same title.

There are many business opportunities when you know what title a customer
has rented. For example: "we can see that you have recently rented The Lord
Of The Rings 1 and 2, here's a special offer for number 3", 'We can see
you've rented several titles starring Bruce Willis, would you like to rent
these others?".

You might want to vary the pricing for some titles compared to others: have
a Bruce Willis festival, or "the Star Wars Blu-Ray set is now out, time to
increase/decrease the price of our DVDs". So while for the moment there are
thousands of titles at the same price, there's no guarantee that will
continue forever.

You might want to track how popular a title is: "Die Hard 1 is very popular
and never in stock, we should acquire a few more copies".

There's a problem getting the products defined in Ofbiz in the first place,
but one of the online DVD catalogues might  help, and you have to put the
fixed assets into Ofbiz in any case.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Hans,

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Use FixedAssetProduct.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I know that you have already implemented it, but I still don't understand your response to my original comment... but it is ok.
As regards the serialized/non-serialized item decision, the fact that you have decided to store the serial number in the FixedAsset entity and not in the InventoryItem entity is fine but I still think that the InventoryItem should be "serialized" (I am under the assumption that your InventoryItem cannot have a QOH greater than 1, if they are associated to FixedAsset with serial numbers in them).

Regards,

Jacopo

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,