Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by nicolae claudius <ni...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/30 15:34:35 UTC

Excesive Timer warning on CentOS, qpid 0.6

I have installed qpid-0.6 broker from sources on my CentOS 5.4 box and it bugs me with excessive warnings of timer:

    2010-03-30 16:26:48 warning Timer woken up 706ms late

In my previous qpid-0.5 everything was fine.
***What could cause this undesired behavior and how could I fix it?***

My build is:

boost 1.3.8
./configure --with-ssl --with-sasl

Re: Excesive Timer warning on CentOS, qpid 0.6

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

ok, you can probably ignore it, it is saying that the timer is late
which means it did not get
CPU, or the hypervisior timer/IRQ was late.

Running Qpid inside a KVM guest works very well, if in Xen what you are
seeing is the time
slicing showing through.

Timer is used for TTL, heartbeat, etc, so just don't try to set very
aggressive heartbeats and
you should be fine.

Carl.

Posted by nicolae claudius <ni...@yahoo.com>.
Yes it is a virtual machine for testing purposes.

________________________________

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
On 03/30/2010 10:28 AM, Steve Huston wrote:
> Hi Nicolae,
>

>> I have installed qpid-0.6 broker from sources on my CentOS
>> 5.4 box and it bugs me with excessive warnings of timer:
>>
>>      2010-03-30 16:26:48 warning Timer woken up 706ms late
>>
>> In my previous qpid-0.5 everything was fine.
>> ***What could cause this undesired behavior and how could I fix it?***
>>
>> My build is:
>>
>> boost 1.3.8
>> ./configure --with-ssl --with-sasl
>>
> Carl gave great answers, as usual. I can add that this message was added
> between 0.5 and 0.6, so that's why you didn't see it when running 0.5.

0-5 did not have a warning for timer overruns.

Carl.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Nicolae,

> I have installed qpid-0.6 broker from sources on my CentOS
> 5.4 box and it bugs me with excessive warnings of timer:
>
>     2010-03-30 16:26:48 warning Timer woken up 706ms late
>
> In my previous qpid-0.5 everything was fine.
> ***What could cause this undesired behavior and how could I fix it?***
>
> My build is:
>
> boost 1.3.8
> ./configure --with-ssl --with-sasl

Carl gave great answers, as usual. I can add that this message was added
between 0.5 and 0.6, so that's why you didn't see it when running 0.5.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org