Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> on 2021/08/03 19:51:16 UTC

IRC links on our web site

Dear All,

tonight I tried to login on the Freenode network and I was rejected.
I was told I must (re)register or else I could not connect.

In my very humble opinion, the time has come to get rid of any links
to the Freenode network, and rather invite visitors to our channel on
Libera.Chat. Keeping links to Freenode at this point may (still IMHO)
just backfire, as casual users may encounter problems just to connect
to the server, as it happened to me today.

I just pushed a new branch of our "openoffice-org" repository and
issued a pull request on GitHub [1]. Comments and reviews are welcome as
usual.

I will also work on the wiki, in my free time.

If anyone would like discuss the topic of leaving Freenode, please let
us talk about it. I saw some people on our Freenode channel, last time
I was allowed, who do not seem to appear on Libera.Chat. I must
confess this makes me a bit puzzled :-)

Best regards.

--
Arrigo

Re: IRC links on our web site

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
+1

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: IRC links on our web site

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello Mechtilde, All,

Re: IRC links on our web site

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
helllo

I added it to

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/IRC_Communication

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Re: LAZY CONSENSUS: change IRC links from Freenode to Libera.Chat

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12.08.21 um 16:26 schrieb Arrigo Marchiori:
> sorry I am a bit absent in these days.
>
> Edits are "on stage":
> https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/
>
> Can someone push them into production, please, if they look good?
> (they do IMHO)

done, thanks for taking care.

Marcus

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

sorry I am a bit absent in these days.

Edits are "on stage":
https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/

Can someone push them into production, please, if they look good?
(they do IMHO)

Thank you and best regards.

Posted by au...@tutanota.com.INVALID.

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
+1

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Arrigo,

On 8/5/21 4:44 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

>> On Aug 5, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> following Carl's very good advice, here is my proposal:
>>
>>   I will merge https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org/pull/57
>>   consisting of changing IRC links from Freenode into Libera Chat, if
>>   no one objects within August 10th.
Nicely done!

> I don’t see any reason to wait. We aren’t going back to Freenode …
>
> Make it so!

I also agree.

Best regards,
Carl

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Re: IRC links on our web site

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Arrigo,

On 8/3/21 3:51 PM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> tonight I tried to login on the Freenode network and I was rejected.
> I was told I must (re)register or else I could not connect.
>
> In my very humble opinion, the time has come to get rid of any links
> to the Freenode network, and rather invite visitors to our channel on
> Libera.Chat. Keeping links to Freenode at this point may (still IMHO)
> just backfire, as casual users may encounter problems just to connect
> to the server, as it happened to me today.
>
> I just pushed a new branch of our "openoffice-org" repository and
> issued a pull request on GitHub [1]. Comments and reviews are welcome as
> usual.
>
> I will also work on the wiki, in my free time.
>
> If anyone would like discuss the topic of leaving Freenode, please let
> us talk about it. I saw some people on our Freenode channel, last time
> I was allowed, who do not seem to appear on Libera.Chat. I must
> confess this makes me a bit puzzled :-)
>
> Best regards.

Although I never used freenode and have only logged into Libera a couple
time after all the news about freenode began.
I'll let those who participate in that method speak but I think most
have moved.
This may be a good topic for a lazy consensus and if nobody objects just
do it.

But in my opinion it's okay to change the links.

Best regards,
Carl