Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/09/11 16:07:23 UTC

Easy test to start

Hi Mike and Steve,

I just wanted to check out daffodil and hack a bit around to get used to it.
Could you point me on an easy end-to-end test which I can use to enter and trace a bit around?

Thanks!
Julian

Re: Easy test to start

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi Mike,

thanks, I found the CSV one which was sufficient form e to find the right jumpin points (gee... scala is nice but also a pain in the ass, I forgot) : >

Julian

Am 11.09.19, 10:34 schrieb "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>:

    Hi Julian,

    Within the DFDL tree, probably the simplest test that runs end-to-end, search for this line:

      @Test def test_unsignedInt() { runner.runOneTest("TestUnsignedInt") }

    This will compile a schema, then use it to parse a trivial unsigned text integer, but you can walk through the code and it will go through all the phases of execution.

    For a more interesting example, I generally suggest to people to try PCAP, because most people are familiar with IP packets and such, so the format, while binary, is familiar. It's not a practical way to parse PCAP files, but a useful tutorial.

    https://github.com/DFDLSchemas is where you will find it, and the other schemas that are public.

    ...mikeb

Re: Easy test to start