Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mathy V Arumugam <ma...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2002/07/12 22:49:57 UTC

double dagger

Hello,

I am using the following:
font-family="Times-Roman"
encoding="iso-8859-1" (in both xml/xsl)
I copied the double dagger symbol from windows Character Map and pasted
onto a field in a database.  Using Java application, I created an xml page
(retrieved the double dagger field using JDBCODBC driver).   With the help
of notepad/wordpad I am able to see the dagger symbol in the xml file I
created.  So far so good..

I created a PDF file using fop-0.20.3.  Double dagger symbol is now
replaced with '#'.  I tried to view the same xml file I created using IE
6.0.  Double dagger symbol is now a square symbol.

I tried to read and understand almost all the questions posted on
'character encoding' , 'unicode', 'embedding fonts' etc.

I would appreciate any help on solving this problem!
Mathy

Re: double dagger

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mathy V Arumugam wrote:
> hmmm, well, xsl file has the following statement: <xsl:output
> method="xml" encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>
> xml has: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='iso-8859-1'?>
> Am I supposed to declare the encoding elsewhere?

No.

> 1) I tried to replace the dbldagger symbol with the unicode &#x2021; in
> the database.  both PDF and xml view is displaying just the unicode
> (&#x2021;)

That's because the DB data is not parsed as XML, and &#x2021;
written to XML becomes &amp;#x2021; (check it), which should
be displayed as the string "&#x2021;"

> 2)When I replace the dbldagger with &#x2021; in the xml file already
> created, I do see the dbldagger symbol.

This means the character you replaced in the XML file was *not*
the dbldagger character. Somewhere on the way from the character
selection trhough the DB and JDBC it got mangled.

After reading the string with the dbldagger from the DB,
check in the Java code whether there is a '\u2021' character
in there. If not, the DB, the ODBC driver, the JDBC-ODBC
bridge, the JDBC driver or the way how you read the string
are at fault. Check with an expert for either or all of these
areas.

J.Pietschmann

Re: double dagger -- strange

Posted by Mathy V Arumugam <ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
I copied the 'fraction slash' and 'dbl low line' symbols (the same way as
the dbl dagger symbol).   Those two symbols are displaying the unicode of
&#8260; and &#8215; (and not the # sign).
Mathy

Re: double dagger

Posted by Mathy V Arumugam <ma...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Re: double dagger

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mathy V Arumugam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the following:
> font-family="Times-Roman"
> encoding="iso-8859-1" (in both xml/xsl)
 >
> I copied the double dagger symbol from windows Character Map and pasted
> onto a field in a database.

Usually a bad idea. The double dagger is U+2021. Does
your DB handle multibyte Unicode characters properly?

>   With
> the help of notepad/wordpad I am able to see the dagger symbol in the
> xml file I created.  So far so good..
If you really use ISO-8859-1 encoding for your XML, you
should see either &#x2021; or &#8225; instead. Check the
encoding in the XML declaration again, this is what matters.

Do you use a proper XML serializer for generating the XML
or simply print()? If you do the latter, you should really
know what you are doing.