Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Yuri Khan <y....@2gis.ru> on 2011/05/13 08:03:01 UTC

Concurrent requests to a single URL

Hello,

I am evaluating Apache Traffic Server version 2.1.8-unstable as a
reverse proxy for content distribution. Our main usage pattern is that
once a month we release a bunch of new file versions (~20 to 150 MB
each) and our users rush to download them. The files are released on the
root server, and several reverse proxy servers handle users' requests,
using the root server as origin.

A frequent situation, esp. early after the release, goes like this:

  * A user requests a file that is not yet cached.
  * The reverse proxy starts downloading the file from the origin,
serving it to the user.
  * During this first request, another user requests the same file.

Ideally, we would like the second user's request to be handled using the
same transfer that was initiated by the first user's request.
Additionally, it would be handy if HEAD requests to the file that is
being downloaded were handled based on the header that has already been
received.

What I observe is that ATS opens another connection to the origin and
requests the same file for GET requests, and HEAD requests are similarly
forwarded to the origin.

I have tried these config settings:

CONFIG proxy.config.http.background_fill_completed_threshold FLOAT 0.000000
CONFIG proxy.config.cache.max_doc_size INT 0
CONFIG proxy.config.cache.enable_read_while_writer INT 1

as said in ticket TS-657, and the observed behavior does not change.

How does the read-while-writer feature work?

I have also read the discussion in TS-489 and it looks like connection
collapsing is what we need. Should I try version 2.1.5-unstable with
collapsing? I am not using clustering and should not be affected by that
bug, right?

Re: Concurrent requests to a single URL

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
Did you enable read-while-writer? Search for rww in records.config. I've heard some mumbling about it not working as intended, but try it out.

-- leif

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
Meh, ignore my previous email.