Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org> on 2011/06/27 15:02:59 UTC

Move deprecated plugins to archive

What you all think about moving deprecated plugins to archive for the 2.3
release?
I think especially the codebehind plugin confuses the user and should be
moved
to the archive.

Johannes

-----
web: http://www.jgeppert.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

Re: Move deprecated plugins to archive

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Lukasz Lenart
<lu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Do we need a Vote for that as well ?

Good question. As far as I recall, and as far as I can determine,
previous moves to the archive have been by lazy consensus. Thus as
long as nobody's objecting here, we can go ahead and do the same
thing.

IMHO, as long as we have at least one regular dot release in which
something is deprecated, it's reasonable to remove it in a subsequent
dot release.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.
On 6/27/11 9:02 AM, Johannes Geppert wrote:
> What you all think about moving deprecated plugins to archive for the 2.3
> release?

And the Dojo plugin...

-Dale

Re: Move deprecated plugins to archive

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org>.
Martin, of course you are right.

In the next days I will go to move the two deprecated plugins (codebehind
and dojo)
to the archive.

What happens with the Wiki Pages?

Johannes

-----

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 4:12 AM, Johannes Geppert <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> What about further development as a plugin outside of the Struts Project?
> We can create a project at Google Code or Github like the jQuery Plugin.

Who is "we"? If "we" is a group of Struts committers, why would "we"
take the code somewhere else, rather than working on it where it is
now? If "we" isn't Struts committers, then they can take the code and
do what they will with it, under the terms of the Apache License.

The caveat in the latter case is if there is an intent to bring the
code back to the ASF later. In that case, there just needs to be an
assurance of code provenance when it comes back (e.g. an iCLA
mechanism), and then it would need to go through a software grant or
some such process to bring it back in.

Before someone goes off and creates a separate project, though, it'd
be interesting to hear why we think contributors will appear if the
project is elsewhere, when they have not done so here for the last
several years. (Or am I mistaken and we do have patches attached that
are not being applied?)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
We had discussed that as well at one point; there was some pushback. I
don't have a problem with it, and I don't recall off the top of my
head what the issue(s) were.

Dave

RE: [struts-dev] Re: Move deprecated plugins to archive

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 18, 2011 2:34 PM, "Jason Pyeron" wrote:
> > IMO it's borderline negligent to be shipping such an old
> > version of Dojo anyway.
> >
> > Hey Martin, perhaps you'll donate an updated version of the
> > Dojo tags and maintain them--those seemed to be the sticking
> > points when we made the decision in the first place.
>
> If help is needed...

If help is needed what? This Dojo plugin thing has lingered for years, and
it was deprecated for good reasons.

Dave

RE: [struts-dev] Re: Move deprecated plugins to archive

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i was moving in to mobile-apps when jason rang the dojo bell..

upgrading dojo is real work...Attach Points to DOM..event handlers and dealing with descriptive JavaScript objects that are named '1a'
then a macro language to populate the values from request..so
1)alot of work ..
2)bountiful criticism ..
3)little (or no) pay
but the  payback is pulling in Dojo clients...(so the effort could be justified)

I wished Antonio would chime in but I think he has summer off..?

WDYT?
Martin
Disclaimer goes here

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.