Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2021/09/28 17:57:46 UTC

Third co-mentor needed for Outreachy project

Hello Everyone,

We are looking for co-mentor(s) for the Outreachy round this year.

Co-mentoring is the best way to run it as we found out with Kaxil (and we
had quite a mentee there if you read the most recent Success at Apache Blog
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/category/SuccessAtApache :) )

Together with Elad we are Co-mentoring in this year's Outreachy round and
it seems that we might have a possibility to get more projects accepted and
more interns but I think the two of us will not be able to handle more than
two mentees - we already have two projects submitted, but we have few more
days to think and submit both - more projects and add co-mentors, so we are
looking for co-mentor (or two :) )

Some info on Outreachy: https://www.outreachy.org/ - Outreach provides
stipends for paid, remote internships to people subject to systemic bias
and impacted by underrepresentation in the tech industry.

They have extremely well organized process - and they guide both mentors
and mentees through the process with very limited friction. What is
necessary from mentors is to
* prepare a projects (we have some more ideas), Deadline - October 6th
* identify some starter issues related to the project that the mentees can
try when they are in trial period - till October 8th
* help the intern candidates with intro to community for their starter
tasks (very little time needed Oct 8 - Nov 5)
* select the interns based on their starter task progress (Nov 5 - Nov 10).
* be prepared to guide the mentees during their internship (Dec 6 - March
4) - this is the most intense part, with likely an hour per mentee every
two week (a bit more initially) + some chats/overlooking/hand-holding

Depending on the project, you do not have to even be "expert" in the
project, even no special coding skills are required, this is more about
guiding the interns on how stuff works here. The interns follow the usual
contribution process so as a mentor you might not even have to review or
approve the code of the mentees. This is what happened last time when Kamil
was the main point of contact for both interns we had.

Please reach out to us on slack if you would like to join us - we are happy
to guide you and help in being a good co-mentor. It's a very rewarding
thing, I can assure you.

The timeline is here: https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/

J.