Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/04/11 18:49:29 UTC

Housekeeping of jar files

Hi all,

the following are housekeeping tasks that could be part of the "SlimDown" roadmap we could do (help from the community would be highly appreciated) related to the big number of jar files bundled with OFBiz:

* making sure all jar files are marked as binary
* making sure they are listed properly in LICENSE (and if required NOTICE) file
* making sure we are running stable versions and not snapshots (whenever possible)
* upgrade jars to use latest versions (whenever possible)
* remove jars no more needed
* rename old jars to add release numbers in the file name

Any ideas on how to document compilation and runtime dependencies, purpose and versions of each jars bundled in OFBiz?
A useful (but outdated/incomplete) source of information is this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz

You may have noticed that in the last few days I already started the work of upgrading some jars, setting the file properties to binary etc..

I have also identified a few jars that may not be needed anymore, but I would like your help/input in figuring out if we can actually remove them; in fact, even if I was able to compile and run successfully all tests it is still not guaranteed that some of them may be used under special conditions at runtime (this is true for all jars):

framework/base/lib/ant/ant-nodeps-1.8.1.jar
framework/base/lib/Tidy.jar
framework/base/lib/ant-trax-1.8.0.jar
framework/base/lib/commons/commons-vfs-20070730.jar

There may be other files in the same condition.

Kind regards,

Jacopo

Re: Housekeeping of jar files

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thanks Adrian,

I can confirm that Commons VFS was used by Webslinger... can someone confirm that it is now required by Jackrabbit? And if yes, what is the version required by Jackrabbit? Can we at least use a stable version of it rather than a snapshot?

Jacopo

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Erwan,

That was not clear to me.

So then maybe we could discuss Pierre's proposition. But to have a real idea of the time added (not an estimate) if we use Ivy
instead of having the libs in the repo, we need to have all done already...

Jacques

From: "Erwan de FERRIERES" <er...@gmail.com>

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Apr 15, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:

> Jacopo,
>
> Please keep in mind that there is a GSOC 2012 task running regarding
> selenium under the supervision of Erwan. See
> OFBIZ-4189<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4189>

I would suggest to defer to that task the decision about the jars required.

> Also, in a reply to your mail with title 'Who is using the seleniumxml and
> why?' Hans stated that it is being used in testing setups. And earlier
> Jacques replied that we'll have to give Hans a reasonable amount of time to
> reply.

I don't think it is still a problem because they had plenty of time since then.

Jacopo

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Then the patch will be even shorter.

Pierre

Op 15 april 2012 15:28 schreef Jacopo Cappellato <
jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxmedia.com> het volgende:

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

I can provide a patch that:

   1. removes the org.springframework related jar from
   framework/testtools/lib
   2. has a target called <download-testtools> in build.xml that downloads
   the jars r3.1.0 by using ivy
   3. has a new config setup in ivy.xml for the download of the applicable
   test tools

I have tested it locally against ./ant run-test and it build successfully.

Is this something we would want in our 'slimdown' branch/version?

Regards,

Pierre

Op 15 april 2012 13:46 schreef Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> het
volgende:

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Grin.

No problem.

Op 15 april 2012 11:45 schreef Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Pierre,

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Pierre,

As you committed the org.springframework* files I'd prefer that you check if using v3.1.1 as suggested Pierre would work (I suppose,
but who knows before testing) while I focus on renaming not versionned libs

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Pierre,

I have added to my list

>    - jython-nooro.jar
>    - axis-ant.jar
>    - selenium-server.jar

>    - org.springframework.core-3.1.0.M2.jar
>    - org.springframework.test-3.1.0.M2.jar
>    - org.springframework.web-3.1.0.M2.jar
Seems more to be in the
>> * we have jar files that are snaphots: can we upgrade them to a stable release or not? (manually or with a tool I don't care at
>> the moment
category. TO be confirmed

>    - jpos18-controls.jar
has a version number: 18

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Also without version number:

   - jython-nooro.jar
   - axis-ant.jar
   - org.springframework.core-3.1.0.M2.jar
   - org.springframework.test-3.1.0.M2.jar
   - org.springframework.web-3.1.0.M2.jar
   - selenium-server.jar
   - jpos18-controls.jar

Regards,

Pierre

Op 14 april 2012 13:44 schreef Erwan de FERRIERES <
erwan.de-ferrieres@nereide.fr> het volgende:

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
With Pierre's comment, I haved added  in the list:

* jython-nooro.jar : can't find any evidences, somebody an idea? I think we should update to a newer version (scripting). Or even
wonder, since there is no use OOTB, if we should not comment out in service engine and let people download the latest versions
(other script engines too) if they are interested... Less burden, more accurate...
* axis-ant.jar, it's the lastest version included with axis-1.4 so I renamed it axis-ant-1.4.jar (it has no name in Axis bundle)
* selenium-server.jar: was in Pierre's list but I can't find it in trunk...

Some changes I did today
* axis.jar => axis-1.4.jar
* bsh-engine-modified.jar I think it can stay like that. it's the bsh-engine modified by David for the cache issue.
* wsdl4j.jar => wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar found in Manifest

* selenium-java-client-driver.jar came with svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=804074 I have not idea of the version. Do
we want to keep this in OFBiz now?

Enough for today

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>
>> * we have jars in OFBiz (some of them very old) with no release number in their file name: we have to research and find the
>> release number and then document it (manually renaming the file OR editing a tool config file like Ivy... I don't care at the
>> moment)
>
> I can take care of  that
>
> I found
>
> bsh-engine-modified.jar
OK done

> httpunit.jar
> mail.jar
> nekohtml.jar
> Tidy.jar
> flute.jar
> jaxrpc.jar
> js.jar
> saaj.jar
>
> In Birt:
>    Tidy.jar (duplicated, also in main lib, I guess remove from Birt)
>    viewservlets.jar
>
> ofbiz-minerva.jar (should we really keep it and related now? We know it's an OFBiz specific version, ie patched)
> axis.jar
OK done

> wsdl4j.jar
OK done

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> * we have jars in OFBiz (some of them very old) with no release number in their file name: we have to research and find the
> release number and then document it (manually renaming the file OR editing a tool config file like Ivy... I don't care at the
> moment)

I can take care of  that

I found

bsh-engine-modified.jar

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacopo,

I agree. The long term solution is nice to have. But for now, there has
work to be done.

I'll see what I can do, and create the JIRA if it not already exists.

Regards,

Pierre

Op 13 april 2012 08:27 schreef Jacopo Cappellato <

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.
../..

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I see what you mean but... source code releases are required by the ASF.

Quoting http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html :

"All releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make changes to the software being released. In some cases, binary/bytecode packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might not have the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source. In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the same version number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling that version of the source code release."

For simplicity, the OFBiz community releases only "source code" releases; in addition (not in substitution) to them,we could also vote/approve/distribute "binary releases" but this would add a lot of work (and the packages would be rather big) and for now I don't see the need for this.
Of course, and maybe it is what you are suggesting, we could remove all jars from the svn repository and then create a release package bundling the source code with all the jars required (and this could be automated with Maven or Ivy): all this without changing our release strategy.

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, I was only dicussing about trunk checkout. As proposed Raj a specific ant task could be used to prepare the releases.
Anyway more a brainstorming than anything else at this stage

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

From: "Rajbir Saini" <ra...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Raj,

From: "Rajbir Saini" <ra...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Rajbir Saini <ra...@yahoo.com>.
BTW, how to you checkout OFBiz or download the source if there is no
Internet connection. I know we can build with Maven without Internect
connection once you have downloaded the dependencies when you build
first time. Also, OFBiz similar to other should have a different binary

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Sometims my privileges get in the way of reason. ;-)

Op 11 april 2012 22:58 schreef Jacques Le Roux <jl...@les7arts.com> het
volgende:

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.