Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com> on 2016/02/04 20:26:41 UTC

Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Right now we have two issues with tests (apart from Mesos failures for which fixes are in progress):

*         WatcherTest failures in Travis and Jenkins (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1040) which has been going on for over 2 months

*         CanRunClrBridgeExampleOnLocalRuntime  failure (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1185) which we have discovered this week, and we don't yet know when it was broken first, because mstest was masking the failures.

I think we shouldn't proceed with the release until these failures are investigated and fixed.
What do you think?

-Mariia

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mariia,

Thanks for bring this up.
I agree with you that it's better to postpone 0.14 a bit.
Yunseong, thought?

Thanks.
-Gon

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Gon.  :)

Dongjoon.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
I created 0.15. Thanks.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Yunseong!

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Markus,

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-02-22 10:06, Boris Shulman wrote:
> Do we have a documentation of the release process?

Yes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/REEF/Release+Manager+Guide

Markus

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Heres are updates regarding 0.14:

1.
As we merged REEF-1040, which had been the last blocker for 0.14, we're now
good to proceed. Thanks Geon-Woo for fixing it, and thanks Andrew for
careful review and merge!

2.
I've tried to build the Java side at the current master (HEAD: [0]), but
the tests seems to be a bit flaky; I'm testing on my Mac OSX El Capitan and
a Ubuntu14.04 desktop. Some tests in REEF-IO have failed sporadically.
Strangely, tests pass in OSX when I turn off WIFI. *Is there anyone
suffering the same problem?*

3.
I think it is not critical to block the release, because at least the CI
still works correctly. Some people might lose the opportunity to check
whether the build is successful though.

4.
I'm working on signing process. Once my key successfully granted to the
Apache LDAP, I'll create the release branch and try my best to finish the
release.

Thanks,
Yunseong

[0] 7495f78, [REEF-1040] Fix a bug in WatcherTest

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mariia

Posted by Mariia Mykhailova <ma...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Brian Cho <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
+1

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good to me. Thanks.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

RE: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Boris,
thanks for the input.

AFAIK, we have never discussed minor releases (e.g., 0.x.y). I'm fine with
it, but I think we need to hear others' thoughts from the community first.

When are you expecting the feature to be implemented? If it can be done
very quickly, should we postpone the release one more time?

Regards,
Yunseong

Posted by Boris Shulman <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2016-02-17 02:28, Yunseong Lee wrote:
> Does anybody have comment or suggestion?

Sounds good to me. Having a release is a value in its own right, even if
there are known issues remaining. As some on the list remember, we
endlessly moved the goals for our first OSS release by "just this one
thing" increments each time. Once we switched to time based releases,
life got a lot better :)

Markus

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Yunseong Lee <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Yunseong. Yunseong has been working at MSRA for the last five
months. Today's his last day. I'm sure he has more time to work on REEF
when he's back to SNU. :-)

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: Should we postpone 0.14 release?