Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de on 2008/10/10 11:15:06 UTC

Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

I tried a build on JDK 1.3/WinXP-SP2, but that failed.
The constructor FileOutputStream(File, boolean) was added in JDK 1.4.

Jan

Java-Home: c:\jdk\130
java version "1.3.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.0-C)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.0-C, mixed mode)

... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk\130
JAVA=java.exe
JAVAC=c:\jdk\130\bin\javac
CLASSPATH=lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\optional\ant-antunit-1
.1.jar;lib\optional\junit-3.8.2.jar;c:\jdk\130\lib\tools.jar;build\c
lasses;src\main;

... Compiling Ant Classes
src\main\org\apache\tools\ant\taskdefs\Echo.java:70: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : constructor FileOutputStream  (java.io.File,boolean)
location: class java.io.FileOutputStream
                OutputStream os = output instanceof FileProvider ? os =
new FileOutputStream(

^
src\main\org\apache\tools\ant\taskdefs\SQLExec.java:574: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : constructor FileOutputStream  (java.io.File,boolean)
location: class java.io.FileOutputStream
                            os = new FileOutputStream(((FileProvider)
output).getFile(), append);
                                 ^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
2 errors

... Cleaning Up Build Directories

... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution

Re: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Jan Materne <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Should we post these info in a more prominent place instead of a
>>> mailinglist-search?
>>
>> absolutely, and we probably should have listed it as a breaking change
>> in Ant 1.7.1
>
> The issue was that ant 1.7.0 could not be used with jdk1.2. This was
> found after the release of 1.7.0, and was due to the fact that the
> java5 javac compiler is unable to generate correct bytecode for
> 1.2. - so the breaking change is in Ant 1.7.0.

Understood, so I'll change the FAQ.

Stefan

Re: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Jan Materne <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
>
>> I found the vote that we dropped Java 1.2
>> http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=117794737813795&w=2
>
> Great, thanks.
>

>> Should we post these info in a more prominent place instead of a
>> mailinglist-search?
>
> absolutely, and we probably should have listed it as a breaking change
> in Ant 1.7.1

The issue was that ant 1.7.0 could not be used with jdk1.2. This was found
after the release of 1.7.0, and was due to the fact that the java5
javac compiler
is unable to generate correct bytecode for 1.2. - so the breaking change
is in Ant 1.7.0.

Peter

Re: AW: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
I am in the middle of fixing that, actually.  It's
just that it's wrapped up with some new changes I have
pending.

-Matt

--- Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

> >Do you want to fix the JDK 1.3 issues in trunk (I
> don't have a
> >1.3 JDK around anymore and am too lazy to install
> one right now) or
> >should we wait for the thread's outcome?
>
> I think it is too much work for getting JDK 1.3
> compliance if we want to
>
> get rid off 1.3. And Trunk is the parent of
> 1.7.2/1.8. If the vote
> wouldnt pass,
> I could investigate some time.
>
> Jan

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> dev-help@ant.apache.org

AW: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.

Re: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Jan Materne <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> I found the vote that we dropped Java 1.2
> http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=117794737813795&w=2

Great, thanks.

> Should we post these info in a more prominent place instead of a
> mailinglist-search?

absolutely, and we probably should have listed it as a breaking change
in Ant 1.7.1

> Like FAQ?

Will do, alongside a comment that we don't really test old Java
releases and only ensure that Ant compiles there.

I'll also start a different thread for the Java version required by
trunk.  Do you want to fix the JDK 1.3 issues in trunk (I don't have a
1.3 JDK around anymore and am too lazy to install one right now) or
should we wait for the thread's outcome?

Stefan

AW: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
I found the vote that we dropped Java 1.2
http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=117794737813795&w=2

I only found a thread about discussing dropping 1.3
http://marc.info/?l=ant-dev&m=120039266628773&w=2
but no vote...

Re: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Jan Materne <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:
>
>> I tried a build on JDK 1.3/WinXP-SP2, but that failed.  The
>> constructor FileOutputStream(File, boolean) was added in JDK 1.4.
>
> Should be easy to fix, I'm just not sure whether it needs to be.
>
> <http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#java-version> only talks about Java
> 1.1 and 1.2.  I think we decided to make 1.7 require Java 1.3 and
> trunk Java 1.4 or has 1.7 still been at 1.2 and we switched to Java
> 1.3 with trunk?
>
> Stefan

Don't recall. Me, I'd go for Java 5+ on SVN_HEAD, because Java 5 has
been out there so long that sun are going to remove support for some
versions soon, and some of the language changes are pretty fundamental

Re: Compiling fails on JDK 1.3

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.