Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/14 09:12:23 UTC

[ACS5.0] IAM feature postponed from 4.4 to 5.0?

Min,

I think everybody knows I am all for less features per release. I
don't think you are making a bad call, per se. I do think we should
consider if we can come up with a total picture of what 5.x would
require af the api, though. Can you add to the discussion what it is
that is keeping you from implementing. And what requirements you have
for the 5.0 api so we can start devising the architectural guidelines
for the new api. more and more calls for a 5.0 are coming up lately so
let's move forward. (changing title)

--
Daan

Re: [ACS5.0] IAM feature postponed from 4.4 to 5.0?

Posted by Meghna Kale <me...@sungardas.com>.
Thanks Daan.

With completion I meant the documentation part.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Meghna Kale <me...@sungardas.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Prachi Damle <Pr...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Meghna Kale <me...@sungardas.com>.
Thanks Min and Prachi.

Posted by Prachi Damle <Pr...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Meghna Kale <me...@sungardas.com>.
Hi Min,

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Prachi Damle <Pr...@citrix.com>.
Few of the areas of current APIs which are not compatible with a correct IAM model:
A]For List APIs:
1) Current implementation of the list APIs is tied tightly with the default roles  (root admin,domainadmin, regular user).
2) The List APIs do not follow the listing parameters in a standard way across board. Depending on which role is invoking the call, the logic assumes some default behavior in the given context and provides results even if some listing parameters are missing .
Example: Any caller should be able to see other account's resources that he is authorized to see, only if the API is called using 'listall = true'
But in case of current CS, even if listall is not provided, the Admins will be able to see this resources for some other account while for a regular user  the call behaves differently.

With IAM, the listing should follow a standard pattern and work with the list API parameters irrespective of who is the caller - the IAM policies attached to the caller should drive the results.

B]For Create APIs:
1)The owner of the entities being created is implicitly derived from other entities used in the creation.

Example: AssociateIpAddress from a Network, always sets the Network owner as the owner of the IpAddress acquired newly
This implicit derivation will break IAM granting across accounts. Since if Account A grants her network to Account B, the IpAddress Account B acquires will still be owned by account A. So the grant does not really work.

C] Impersonation:
Few CS APIs accept account-domain parameters and do impersonation based on these parameters. But this is not followed across all APIs. So to support impersonation via IAM, we need to change APIs and have a standard impersonation mechanism.

In order to make them compatible with IAM, we need changes to the API semantics which will break backwards compatibility for existing deployments. So we need a API version change to accommodate IAM support.

Thanks,
Prachi

--
Daan