Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Gautam Thaker <gt...@verizon.net> on 2011/06/27 23:59:14 UTC

why is there seemingly no support for "float" (32 bit values) type in thrift?

I am reading/running/modifying the tutorial as  a way to understand
thrift. I noticed that thrift only seems to support a 64 bit float
value, and not a 32 bit float value. There are times when 32 bit values
would be a better choice.

Is this hard to add?

Gautam

Re: why is there seemingly no support for "float" (32 bit values) type in thrift?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
It's true, we don't have a 32 bit float. In practice, I don't think that
most people have suffered too heavily from the omission, since floating
point data isn't as common.

I think that in practice it would be very hard to add a new fundamental
datatype to Thrift because there are so many languages and protocols that
would have to be updated accordingly.

-Bryan