Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com> on 2011/01/11 19:49:21 UTC

API pages on the wiki

I have noticed API06 and API07 being created. API being de-synched
with API07 now.

What is the intentional method of maintaining these? Should API
reflect trunk, or the "latest release"?

Should we just make API not contain anything and all, and simply link
to the appropriate page for each version?

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: API pages on the wiki

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> ^ I like that idea.  Make it a landing page that points to the other
> versions (trunk, 07, 06, etc.).

RIght. The main downside I can think of is that you don't get the
annotated nature of the current API page where you can read what is
true now while simultaneously getting a sense of when new features
were introduced.

But my feeling is that it is better to have single versions of
documentation that is more realistic to maintain, than de-normalizing
it. Theoretically one should optimize for the reader rather than the
writer, but on the theory that out-of-date/incorrect documentation is
worse than the user having to read two versions to get a sense of
differences, it seems to make sense.

--
/ Peter Schuller

Re: API pages on the wiki

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:49, Peter Schuller
<pe...@infidyne.com> wrote:
> I have noticed API06 and API07 being created. API being de-synched
> with API07 now.
>
> Should we just make API not contain anything and all, and simply link
> to the appropriate page for each version?

^ I like that idea.  Make it a landing page that points to the other
versions (trunk, 07, 06, etc.).

Gary.