Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sal Campana <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/21 20:53:15 UTC

Pulling API and SRC Jars from Repos

Are there any plans to add support of optionally specifying API and SRC jars
for a given dependency?

We've built a plugin to do this, and then update our IDE, but its not
standard...but if it were standard in Maven (extra xml tags?) then all the
IDE plugins would support it....

Based on this page:

*http://docs.codehaus.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=22230*

It seems the classifier attribute can be used to associate src and api jars
with a regular jar dependency. It shows *javasrc and *javadoc...

Will the extensions be "standardized"?

It seems that if Maven would standardize how these things are defined, then
generic plugins could be made for the IDEs which can take advantage of this.

Thx!

Re: Pulling API and SRC Jars from Repos

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.
Cool, hopefully the idea plugin will take advantage of this soon! (and the
documentation of maven will mention how to generate such artifacts)

regards,

Wim

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
cool!

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
That doesn't work for me - I have to delcare an additional dependency,
and a classifier. Like this:

<dependency>
  <groupId...
  <artifactId...
  <version...
  <classifier>sources</classifier>
</dependency>

same for javadoc (no "s" in the end of javadocs... ;-)

Posted by Sal Campana <sa...@gmail.com>.
Brett,

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.
Wow, I was unaware of that being possible. How do you do it?

regards,

Wim

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
We are going to add this to the recommended upload request, and it is
"by default" in m2 using the release plugin. Just using deploy without
the profile activated does not do it, but this is because we don't
want to build them for snapshots and development builds due to the
time involved.

We'll get this documented, but we'll certainly be encouraging projects
on ibiblio to do so.

- Brett

Posted by Ralph Pöllath <li...@poellath.org>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
well, javadocs culd be published easily in maven 1.x but AFAIK it was almost
completely unused (try searching the ibiblio.org <http://ibiblio.org>repository)
So to get the feature useful, there should be a more aggressive policy IMHO.
Like when uploading to remote repository always upload javadocs and sources
as well by default.. otherwise it will be again unused.

just my 2 cents.

Milos

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.