Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Joey J <ja...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/28 14:58:52 UTC

FROM_RETURNPATH_MISMATCH

Hello All,

I'm trying to understand why SA keeps scoring this rule, when the sender
only has their from address, no reply to etc, nothing helping me to
understand why.

I'm guessing here, but this would be where the reply to differs from the
from?

Any assistance appreciated.

--
Thanks!
Joey

Re: FROM_RETURNPATH_MISMATCH

Posted by Joey J <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all.

Someone internally must have seen that rule and added it, I think I'm going
to pull it out as it has way too many false positives.
I took the assumption (we know) that it was one of the base rules.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 2023-04-28 at 10:58:52 UTC-0400 (Fri, 28 Apr 2023 10:58:52 -0400)
Joey J <ja...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to understand why SA keeps scoring this rule, when the
> sender
> only has their from address, no reply to etc, nothing helping me to
> understand why.
>
> I'm guessing here, but this would be where the reply to differs from
> the
> from?

FROM_RETURNPATH_MISMATCH is not in the current ruleset from the default
rule channel nor is it in the widely-used KAM ruleset (maintained by a
PMC-member, but not part of the SA Project proper.)

Hence, that rule is part of your local customization of SpamAssassin.

> Any assistance appreciated.

Well, my ***GUESS*** based on the name is that a rule called
FROM_RETURNPATH_MISMATCH would be when the SMTP envelope sender
(RFC5321.MailFrom, in RFC 5598 terminology, often preserved in a
Return-Path header during delivery) and the message header From address
(RFC5322.From) which are not intrinsically identical but usually are in
person-to-person email.

The *actual* definition of that rule will be somewhere in your SA
config, most likely in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire