Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brannon <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/16 20:19:50 UTC

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Resolved]

I'm still somewhat befuddled by the source of the build error, but after much
research (and a Linux distro change and the rebuilding that goes with that -
don't ask) I added the following line and change to the stock build.xml file
(new first line, and  change in the third line below which was line 22 in the
original version):

    <property environment = "env" />
    <path id="classpath.javalib">
        <fileset dir="${env.SDK_HOME}/lib" includes="**/*.jar"/>
    </path>

The original line 22 (replaced by the third line above):

       <fileset dir="${java.home}/lib" includes="**/*.jar"/>

With those minor modifications I was able to complete a build of 2.1.  I still
see the same report from the .xml file:

environment-info:
     [echo]
     [echo] Compile environment for pivot-2.1.0 is:
     [echo] show deprecation true
     [echo] debug true
     [echo] source 1.6, target 1.6
     [echo] encoding UTF-8
     [echo] indexJars true
     [echo] arg -Xlint
     [echo]
     [echo] Java environment: home at
'/home/greg/Programming/Java/jdk1.7.0x64/jre', version 1.7.0_07
     [echo]

I haven't tested the resulting build yet, but I'm anxious to and then continue
with my project.

Thanks again, for your help.

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Reopened for Java 7U7]

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
just committed all (small) changes in build.xml files, both for the
maintenance branch and the trunk, and even for all builds on our
Jenkins builds at ASF.

All work with a recent JDK 6 and the latest JDK 7 Update 7.

Tell me for problems or suggestions ...

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Reopened for Java 7U7]

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Just created the related issue:

Note that even in Windows this happens, so it's really something
related to JDK 7 Update 7.
I think they (Oracle) have changed something inside the plugin.jar
classes, probably in the JSObject class.

I'll start to work on this, but if someone has comments/suggestions,
please post (here and/or in the issue).

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Reopened for Java 7U7]

Posted by Greg Brannon <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm.  Interesting.  Sorry to hear the problem is not unique to my
environment.  I have 7U5 and 7U6 readily available that I can try.  I don't
know that I'll complete the configuration changes and tests tonight, but I can
to do it tomorrow and be done roughly 24 hours from now.

I will also start with a clean environment in each case and see 1) if starting
clean makes a difference, and 2) if making minor changes to the environment one
at a time either fixes or breaks the build.

Talk to you later . . .

Greg Brannon
Hughesville, MD

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
just made some small updates to build.xml file, to show some more OS
and Java-related info ...

And ... I'm sorry to say that with the latest JDK 7 Update 7 from
Oracle, I have the same problem of you ... very strange, because with
Oracle JDK 7 Update 4 all was working (at least on Windows 7 at 64
bit).
Tomorrow I'll make other tests with Windows at 32 bit.
We have some Jenkins builds at Apache on JDK 7, but could not be the
latest, and could be OpenJDK ... I have to look better at it.

Greg (and maybe even Roger), it would be great if you could make some
tests on Linux with other JDK 7 versions before the update 7 ...
otherwise you have to wait some day for others tests from me (it's not
my primary dev VM for Pivot, so I use it only a little time).

I tried to manually add the plugin.jar to the env var CLASSPATH, but
this time even this trick doesn't work (but I used it many times
before) ... really it seems Oracle changed something in the JDK.

A strange thing I have seen is that under $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ (for
JDK1.7.0_07) on Linux, some jar files doesn't have the executable
attribute (chmod +x) could be something related to this. But could be
that in previous versions they have that flag enabled, but for
security (or whatever other reason) they now have disabled it ... and
could be an interesting thing to know.

So I think now it's time to open a JIRA issue (with high priority) for this...

Let's update.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Resolved]

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, good to know ...

Just for reference, with OpenJDK/IcedTea there is a problem that the
plugin jar is not linked/used right inside the browser, so some Pivot
Applets doesn't work ... I hope even in this case it's not a Java
packaging problem ...

Let's update.

Thanks for now.

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Help with Pivot 2.1 build error [Resolved]

Posted by Greg Brannon <gr...@gmail.com>.
Insightful comments and suggestions.  I'll thin my current environment
a variable at a time and let you know when the noise level becomes low
enough for the default build definition and process to work properly,
with a goal of identifying the precise evironment variable(s) causing
the problem, if possible.

I mentioned I recently rebuilt my system.  I've collected my
environment settings over several stable years and copied them
faitfully to the new setup, but I don't know that all or any are
required for the new environment to operate properly.  Reducing the
environment to the minimum required will be a good exercise.

My Pivot 2.1 build works fine, by the way.  I haven't tested every
facet of it, but the testing I've done, including verification that
the Expanders problem was fixed, has been successful.

I use Oracle's Java distribution.