Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Craig Longman <cr...@begeek.com> on 2002/09/13 10:34:58 UTC

TagSupport.xxxValue()

i'm confused about something, and no amount of searching has been able
to help me, and the javadocs are a bit vague.

the set/get/removeValue() methods in the TagSupport class.  what are
they setting, getting and removing?  not the actual properties (as
handled by the getXXX()/setXXX() methods), right?  this is just some map
of key/values for something else?  if so, then what were the intentions
for this, somewhere to store stuff between invocations?  the methods are
marked public, so it seems like they have an external purpose, but i'm
just not seeing it.

thanks!

--

    CraigL->Thx();
    Be Developer ID: 5852

Re: TagSupport.xxxValue()

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On 13 Sep 2002, Craig Longman wrote:

> i'm confused about something, and no amount of searching has been able
> to help me, and the javadocs are a bit vague.
>
> the set/get/removeValue() methods in the TagSupport class.  what are
> they setting, getting and removing?  not the actual properties (as
> handled by the getXXX()/setXXX() methods), right?  this is just some
> map of key/values for something else?  if so, then what were the
> intentions for this, somewhere to store stuff between invocations?
> the methods are marked public, so it seems like they have an external
> purpose, but i'm just not seeing it.

You're not missing anything; the methods have no real purpose.  :)  Their
presence is largely idiosyncratic; they can be used to store "tag-
instance-scoped variables" should you ever need them, but this is
effectively equivalent to keeping an instance variable of type Map
yourself.  The methods are just a convenience provided by TagSupport; they
have nothing to do with the more generic "Tag" interface itself.

--
Shawn Bayern