Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by OpenWhisk Team Slack <ra...@apache.org> on 2010/01/01 00:01:01 UTC

[slack-digest] [2022-04-18] #general

2022-04-18 07:21:41 UTC - John Norris: A few years back I built a local openwhisk installation by cloning the git repo and then using vagrant and that worked.
I am looking at the docker containers on the docker hub and the "obvious" one to go for is standalone. Or is it?
I have run that container and though it works, I am having trouble accessing any samples under guest as authentication is not authorised.
Are there better containers to run? And what is the difference between standalone and controller and invoker?
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1650266501478109
----
2022-04-18 08:50:26 UTC - John Norris: I am trying to use the serverless framework with openwhisk. Serverless is set up on the PC and that connects with a VM running the standalone imagefrom docker. Both the playground and api (3232, 3233) are accessible via the PC browser. Ping works in the terminal.
Just using a default generated openwhisk / node project, serverless deply gives the following
PS C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project&gt; serverless deploy
Warning: You're relying on provider "openwhisk" defined by a plugin which doesn't provide a validation schema for its config.
Please report the issue at its bug tracker linking: <https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/providers/aws/guide/plugins#extending-validation-schema>
You may turn off this message with "configValidationMode: off" setting

Compiling Functions...
Compiling Packages...
Compiling API Gateway definitions...
Compiling Rules...
Compiling Triggers &amp; Feeds...
Compiling Service Bindings...
Deploying Functions...
Deployment successful!

Service Information
platform:       <http://mint20-openwhisk:3233>
namespace:      _
service:        project

packages:
Environment: win32, node 16.4.2, framework 3.12.0, plugin 6.2.1, SDK 4.3.2
Docs:        <http://docs.serverless.com|docs.serverless.com>
Support:     <http://forum.serverless.com|forum.serverless.com>
Bugs:        <http://github.com/serverless/serverless/issues|github.com/serverless/serverless/issues>

Error:
OpenWhiskError: Unknown Error From API: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND mint20-openwhisk
    at Client.handleErrors (C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project\node_modules\openwhisk\lib\client.js:258:11)
    at C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project\node_modules\openwhisk\lib\client.js:181:26
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)

There is a warning. And Deployment is successful! But then I get the OpenWhiskError&gt; It could not find mint20-openwhisk - the VM that is running openwhisk standalone image.

Yet if I invoke the function, I do get a result.

PS C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project&gt; serverless invoke --function hello
Warning: You're relying on provider "openwhisk" defined by a plugin which doesn't provide a validation schema for its config.
Please report the issue at its bug tracker linking: <https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/providers/aws/guide/plugins#extending-validation-schema>
You may turn off this message with "configValidationMode: off" setting

{
    "payload": "Hello, World!"
}

PS C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project&gt; serverless invoke --function hello --path data.json
Warning: You're relying on provider "openwhisk" defined by a plugin which doesn't provide a validation schema for its config.
Please report the issue at its bug tracker linking: <https://www.serverless.com/framework/docs/providers/aws/guide/plugins#extending-validation-schema>
You may turn off this message with "configValidationMode: off" setting

object
{
    "payload": "Hello, Johnny!"
}

With regard to the warning, if run serverless docter

PS C:\GitWork\openwhisk\project&gt; serverless doctor
1 deprecation triggered in the last command:

CLI options definitions were upgraded with "type" property (which could be one of "string", "boolean", "multiple"). Below listed plugins do not predefine type for introduced options:
 - OpenWhiskConfigCredentials for "apihost", "auth"
Please report this issue in plugin issue tracker.
Starting with next major release, this will be communicated with a thrown error.
More info: <https://serverless.com/framework/docs/deprecations/#CLI_OPTIONS_SCHEMA_V3>

Is the openwhisk plugin for the serverless framework the responsibility of the openwhisk or serverless?

So quite a few questions but they all revolve around the use of serverless FW and openwhisk.
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1650271826303369
----