Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2004/03/20 10:04:39 UTC

FYI: New Sitemap Treeprocessor for 2.2

Hi,

to avoid double efforts in the same area, I just wanted to
inform you that I will try to write a new tree processor
for 2.2 in the next few days.

Why? There are several reasons:
- Reverting to ECM in 2.2 requires some changes to the
  tree processor used in 2.1.x anyway
- Implementing Virtual Sitemap Components
- Implementing Inheritance of Views
- Being Container Independent
- Adding a profiling/debugging api
So, apart from reverting to ECM, I will start to implement
some of the new features we planned for 2.2. Please note
that we haven't discussed all points from above in detail
but I think it's easier to discuss on an implementation
base instead of duing endless discussions.

I will try to reuse as much as possible from both tree
processors (2.1 and 2.2). And I hope to come up with
a working solution by the end of next week.

Thanks
Carsten

Re: FYI: New Sitemap Treeprocessor for 2.2

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Hi,
>
>to avoid double efforts in the same area, I just wanted to
>inform you that I will try to write a new tree processor
>for 2.2 in the next few days.
>
>Why? There are several reasons:
>- Reverting to ECM in 2.2 requires some changes to the
>  tree processor used in 2.1.x anyway
>- Implementing Virtual Sitemap Components
>- Implementing Inheritance of Views
>- Being Container Independent
>- Adding a profiling/debugging api
>So, apart from reverting to ECM, I will start to implement
>some of the new features we planned for 2.2. Please note
>that we haven't discussed all points from above in detail
>but I think it's easier to discuss on an implementation
>base instead of duing endless discussions.

big +1 :-)

>I will try to reuse as much as possible from both tree
>processors (2.1 and 2.2). And I hope to come up with
>a working solution by the end of next week.

Cool.
Nice to see Cocoon 2.2 moving forward!

--
Reinhard

RE: FYI: New Sitemap Treeprocessor for 2.2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi,

it seems that when you have vacation that you even have less time than
when you go to work :(
I'm very sorry, but I can't continue the work on the tree processor
this week, there are "more important" things to do. Unfortunately,
the version I currently have is worse than what we have in 2.2
anyway (apart that it's not that tied to Fortress anymore and it
supports different sitemap versions, but it provides less functionality).
So, I will not commit it.

Sorry,
Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Ah yeah. But we still need ServiceSelector.

Sure, by Container independent I mean "avalon compatible container
independent". Of course, we rely on all the apis provided by
the avalon framework - but nothing more.

> Ah, so please commit your PC in the CVS :-)

Ok, I will try this afternoon my now beaming machine I invented
yesterday after watching some star treck movies. It's really
not that hard...

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >to avoid double efforts in the same area, I just wanted to
> inform you that I will try to write a new tree processor for
> 2.2 in the next few days.
> >
> >Why? There are several reasons:
> >- Reverting to ECM in 2.2 requires some changes to the tree
> processor
> >used in 2.1.x anyway
> >

> Curious : are these changes those related to the changes on
> Environment, or are there more?

Not only, we removed some of the deprecated component stuff in
2.2 (excalibur component selector etc.)

> >- Implementing Virtual Sitemap Components
> >- Implementing Inheritance of Views
> >

> I do have some ideas about this and am willing to
> participate. Where do we start?

Here on my PC :) Now, seriously, I already started implementing
the virtual sitemap components (according to the discussions months
ago) some weeks ago, but failed due to the problems with Fortress :(
I'm currently trying to get a first version up and running by
wednesday (hopefully). Then I will commit the changes and
we can continue developing here (= our CVS).

> >- Being Container Independent
> >

> Is it really possible? There needs to be some dependency on
> the container somehow to create and fill it, no?

Sure, but I hope to fit everthing into a single class which should
make moving to another container much easier (just replace this
one class, and that's it). That's currently not possible.

> >- Adding a profiling/debugging api
> >

> Cool. It would be good for this API not to be limited to the
> sitemap only, but also be able to include other components
> such as JXTemplate, XSP, CForms, etc.

Yes, exactly - I won't do much in this area, but will try to
make it easier to plug something into the sitemap processor
as the first step.

> >So, apart from reverting to ECM, I will start to implement
> some of the new features we planned for 2.2. Please note that
> we haven't discussed all points from above in detail but I
> think it's easier to discuss on an implementation base
> instead of duing endless discussions.
> >
> >I will try to reuse as much as possible from both tree
> processors (2.1 and 2.2). And I hope to come up with a
> working solution by the end of next week.
> >

> With all features? That's quick!

:) - Ehm,...,hmm....hmmmm....ok, perhaps not with all
features, but some of them :)

More soon.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.