Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by ao...@bellsouth.net on 2003/10/21 22:56:04 UTC

More patches

Steve,

As I try to educate myself on the code base I can't help but remove those stupid import statements.  You could probably just run a simple code formatter on it but I just did it by hand.  Basically with a couple of exceptions all classes should come out with no warnings in the default eclipse setup.

Just for the heck of it I am attaching a check style configuration that maps to the Avalon format defined on the Avalon website.  The LDAPd folks and I already based our checkstyle on the Avalon format but added a couple of extras like a_ for method parameters, l_ for local variables and s_ for non-final static variables.  Attached is the Avalon checkstyle configuration.  If you guys want to use it your welcome to it.

Again these changes are just aesthetic and not really worth a damn but I could not help doing it while looking though.  The eclipse warnings kept naging me.

Anyway the patches are attached for these changes.  The only non-asthetic changes I made are described below:

Non aesthetic Changes in activation-impl.patch:

* DefaultServiceManager used deprecated ServiceException constructor (line 166)
	- switched to String, String, Throwable version
* DefaultBlock used round about way to make Thread sleep (line 664 & 599)
	- replaced old way Thread.currentThread().sleep() with Thread.sleep()
          way

Non aesthetic Changes in composition-impl.patch:

* ContextTestCase used round about way to make Thread sleep (line 120)
	- replaced old way Thread.currentThread().sleep() with Thread.sleep()
          way

Non aesthetic Changes in kernel-unit.patch:

* Did the same old thang with Thread.currentThread().sleep() in the unit test
  package.

Couple things left alone

 - Deprecated API usage in org.apache.avalon.meta.info.verifier.TypeVerifier
   left alone on lines 62, 95 and 239 for the use of the Recomposable interface
   guess this is for legacy support.
 - Left CLI option handling in CLIKernelLoader alone because it was designed
   to operate that way.  Basically lines 625 -> 665 show warnings in eclipse
   for static method usage.  I actually like the way the OptionBuilder works
   with the return values it uses.

Cheers,
Alex

P.S. As I progress in learning the code base I hope to contribute real patches that make a difference.

Re: More patches

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
All patches applied.
Steve.

aok123@bellsouth.net wrote:

>Steve,
>
>As I try to educate myself on the code base I can't help but remove those stupid import statements.  You could probably just run a simple code formatter on it but I just did it by hand.  Basically with a couple of exceptions all classes should come out with no warnings in the default eclipse setup.
>
>Just for the heck of it I am attaching a check style configuration that maps to the Avalon format defined on the Avalon website.  The LDAPd folks and I already based our checkstyle on the Avalon format but added a couple of extras like a_ for method parameters, l_ for local variables and s_ for non-final static variables.  Attached is the Avalon checkstyle configuration.  If you guys want to use it your welcome to it.
>
>Again these changes are just aesthetic and not really worth a damn but I could not help doing it while looking though.  The eclipse warnings kept naging me.
>
>Anyway the patches are attached for these changes.  The only non-asthetic changes I made are described below:
>
>Non aesthetic Changes in activation-impl.patch:
>
>* DefaultServiceManager used deprecated ServiceException constructor (line 166)
>	- switched to String, String, Throwable version
>* DefaultBlock used round about way to make Thread sleep (line 664 & 599)
>	- replaced old way Thread.currentThread().sleep() with Thread.sleep()
>          way
>
>Non aesthetic Changes in composition-impl.patch:
>
>* ContextTestCase used round about way to make Thread sleep (line 120)
>	- replaced old way Thread.currentThread().sleep() with Thread.sleep()
>          way
>
>Non aesthetic Changes in kernel-unit.patch:
>
>* Did the same old thang with Thread.currentThread().sleep() in the unit test
>  package.
>
>Couple things left alone
>
> - Deprecated API usage in org.apache.avalon.meta.info.verifier.TypeVerifier
>   left alone on lines 62, 95 and 239 for the use of the Recomposable interface
>   guess this is for legacy support.
> - Left CLI option handling in CLIKernelLoader alone because it was designed
>   to operate that way.  Basically lines 625 -> 665 show warnings in eclipse
>   for static method usage.  I actually like the way the OptionBuilder works
>   with the return values it uses.
>
>Cheers,
>Alex
>
>P.S. As I progress in learning the code base I hope to contribute real patches that make a difference.

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org