Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Carlos Rutenfrans <ca...@hetnet.nl> on 2005/10/28 19:55:48 UTC

Hello there !

I just installed JetSpeed, following the instructions at
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html (using
the Maven-Plugin). I'm using java 1.4.2_03, Tomcat 5.0.30, jetspeed
2.0-M4-SNAPSHOT (28-10-2005) and Maven 1.0.2. Everything went very good
until I started Tomcat.
First I had an error in the WEB-INF/assembly/page-manager.xml The
problem was that there was a reference to
class="org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.Castor...." instate of
class="org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.psml.Castor....".
After solving this problem i'm having problems with
WEB-INF/assembly/pipelines.xml and
WEB-INF/assembly/profiler.xml as  you  can see in  the  stacktrace  below:

bean with name 'securityValve' defined in ServletContext res
ource [/WEB-INF/assembly/pipelines.xml]: Can't resolve reference to bean
'org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.Profiler' while setting prope
rty 'constructor argument'; nested exception is
bean with na
me 'org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.Profiler' defined in ServletContext
resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/profiler.xml]: Can't resolve refere
nce to bean 'profilerImpl' while setting property 'target'; nested
exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationExcept
ion: Error creating bean with name 'profilerImpl' defined in
ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/profiler.xml]: Instantiation
of bean failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.TypeMismatchException: Failed to convert
property value of type [java
.lang.String] to required type
[org.apache.jetspeed.profiler.rules.ProfileResolvers]
[...]

Did I do anything wrong ?

Is there something to solve this  problem  ?

Thanks in advance for your help, as we say in Holland,

        Carlos Rutenfrans

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Aaron Evans wrote:

>Randy Watler <watler <at> wispertel.net> writes:
>

>>Aaron,
>>
>>We do not do builds every night and the M4-SNAPSHOT libraries in the
>>repos are not current.
>>
>>We encourage you to build from a current svn HEAD version, but then
>>please use maven -o
>>afterwards until you update your source tree again. It also runs the
>>builds MUCH quicker!
>>
>>We are painfully aware of the build problems everone is experiencing and
>>are looking into
>>alternatives before we release the FINAL 2.0 version before mid Dec.
>>
>>Thanks for the patience,
>>
>>Randy
>>

>Thanks for the response Randy.  I have built from snv HEAD and all is well.
>
>I look forward to a Final 2.0 version.  Am I correct in assuming that once an
>official release is released that the plugin will be the way to go so that
>one can more easily integrate their own customizations?

This is at the heart of the maven work we have done as of late. However,
much is undecided
since maven is not working well for some of us and many many users. The
goal is, of course,
to facilitate customization, so we know what we want... just not how to
make it happen and
provide a great user build experience most of the time.

>I guess for now I should modify resources in my checked out SVN source and
>merge in changes when I do updates?

I suppose that depends on what you are doing... :-). the svn update
merge functionality
is robust and has always worked for me.

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
When you build from source, do you not use the jetspeed-plugin?  I am a
little confused as to what the exact steps are from looking at the
Getting Started if I want to build from source.

Could someone give me an idea of what the correct sequence would be?
I'm going to do this instead of pulling out of the repository.

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.

Posted by Jennifer Perez <sh...@bidhub.com>.
Can you please take me off this e-mail list - I have no idea what all of you
are talking about.

Thank you

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Carlos,

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
Carlos Rutenfrans <carlos.rutenfrans <at> hetnet.nl> writes:

> Hello there !
>
> I just installed JetSpeed, following the instructions at
> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html (using
> the Maven-Plugin). I'm using java 1.4.2_03, Tomcat 5.0.30, jetspeed
> 2.0-M4-SNAPSHOT (28-10-2005) and Maven 1.0.2. Everything went very good
> until I started Tomcat.
> First I had an error in the WEB-INF/assembly/page-manager.xml The
> problem was that there was a reference to
> class="org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.Castor...." instate of
> class="org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.psml.Castor....".
> After solving this problem i'm having problems with
> WEB-INF/assembly/pipelines.xml and
> WEB-INF/assembly/profiler.xml as  you  can see in  the  stacktrace  below:
>
> Did I do anything wrong ?
>
> Is there something to solve this  problem  ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, as we say in Holland,
>
>         Carlos Rutenfrans

I don't think you have done anything wrong. Unfortunately, there is a mismatch
between the spring configuration and the classes and packages etc.

I did a maven war:install and a j2:quickStart on my (what was working) M4
snapshot and now I have run into some of the problems you describe.

I worked through a bunch of them, but then got stuck, but not on your problem
above.

I have now blown away my whole installation and am starting from scratch and
I assume I will run into the same issues. :(

I have a question though for the jetspeed dev team when using the maven
plugin:

If I manage to get an M4-SNAPSHOT that I am happy with, if I want to do
customizations to it, what portions of: maven war:install and j2:quickStart
do I need to do to incorporate my changes and deploy them but NOT download
any new resources.

For it is this last bit that seems to screw me up every week or so.  I'll
do a war:install and next thing you know, it's completely broken and I lose
several hours trouble shooting and re-installing to get back to where I was.