Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/17 14:33:59 UTC

[VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Hi,

3rd attempt to cut a release. The binary package now contains just what is needed, and the Nexus repository now contains the release.

A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not approved):

- GIT tag : "mina-parent-3.0.0-M1" SHA-1 : "35f5b85e65a367dc57eb045b975bfeff5a0bf3cd"

Project: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/repo
Commit: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/commit/35f5b85e
Tree: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/tree/35f5b85e
Diff: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/diff/35f5b85e

- Nexus repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemina-158/

Let us vote :
[ ] +1 | Release MINA 3.0.0-M1
[ ] +/- | Abstain
[ ] -1 | Do *NOT*  release MINA 3.0.0-M1

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 July 2013 23:41, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 7/18/13 12:21 AM, Jeff MAURY a écrit :
>> Build also except if the benchmarks profile is activated: build fails
>> because it seems the benchmarks pom is still on 3.0.0-M1-SNAPSHOT
>
> Ahhh, my bad ! I cut the release without the -Pbenchmarks profile :/
>> For the next release, we should put the JDK 7 requirement in the parent POM
>> as a requirement : I think Maven will be more explicit
>
> Yes, agreed.
>
> Keep in mind that it's just a first release, and we should leverage the
> problems we have to get a smooth release the next time.
>
> We can even cancel this release, fix the problems, and cut it again (the
> release will take one hour).
>
> So far the pbs are :
> - presence of pom.xml.releasebackup in the src package
> - benchmarks moduel aren't correct.
>
> Should we cancel this release ?

I would leave it a bit longer in case other problems emerge.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2013 00:21, Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com> wrote:
> > To make sure the build is run with a 1.7+ JDK
>
> As I already wrote, the compilation will fail unless it is.

The advantage of the enforcer plugin is that you have a clear message that
1.7 is required when the build start rather than a compilation error in the
middle of the build

Jeff

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 18 juil. 2013, at 13:09, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2013 08:49, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> wrote:

>>> Is it possible to auto-activate it when using the release plugin?
>>
>> Apache's root 'apache' pom.xml enforces that the "apache-release" profile is appended to the command line used when performing the release tasks of the "release" plugin, see [1].
>>> <!--  START SNIPPET: release-plugin-configuration  -->
>>> <plugin>
>>>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>>    <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
>>>    <version>2.3.2</version>
>>>    <configuration>
>>>        <useReleaseProfile>false</useReleaseProfile>
>>>        <goals>deploy</goals>
>>>        <arguments>-Papache-release ${arguments}</arguments>
>>>    </configuration>
>>> </plugin>
>>> <!--  END SNIPPET: release-plugin-configuration  -->
>>

>> So using the same profile id and making sure to add the required modules would help to auto-activate them "automatically" when doing a release:
>>> <profile>
>>>    <id>apache-release </id>
>>>    <modules>
>>>        <module>benchmarks</module>
>>>        <module>benchmarks2</module>
>>>    </modules>
>>> </profile>
>>
>> My 2 cents,
>
> However, won't that run the benchmark tests?

Yeah, indeed.

> It occurs to me that what's needed is to always include the modules in
> the top-level pom so they don't get ignored when creating source or
> amending versions.
>
> So I would drop the profiles from the parent pom, and add them to the
> relevant module poms.
>
> Testing can then be disabled unless the appropriate profile is enabled.
> e.g. define a local property, default true, which is used to skip tests.
> If the profile is defined, set the property to false.

Yeah, that would also work and handle the test skipping quite well.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 18 juil. 2013, at 01:12, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18 July 2013 00:10, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Both of these files still refer to the SNAPSHOT release:
>>>
>>> benchmarks/pom.xml
>>> benchmarks2/pom.xml
>>>
>>> Looks like the release plugin did not work properly, or the poms are
>>> not configured correctly.
>>
>> No, as I said, this is my mistake : those poms are belonging to modules
>> taht are activated by a profile, and I forgot to use it.
>
> Is it possible to auto-activate it when using the release plugin?

Apache's root 'apache' pom.xml enforces that the "apache-release" profile is appended to the command line used when performing the release tasks of the "release" plugin, see [1].
> <!--  START SNIPPET: release-plugin-configuration  -->
> <plugin>
>     <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>     <artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
>     <version>2.3.2</version>
>     <configuration>
>         <useReleaseProfile>false</useReleaseProfile>
>         <goals>deploy</goals>
>         <arguments>-Papache-release ${arguments}</arguments>
>     </configuration>
> </plugin>
> <!--  END SNIPPET: release-plugin-configuration  -->

So using the same profile id and making sure to add the required modules would help to auto-activate them "automatically" when doing a release:
> <profile>
>     <id>apache-release </id>
>     <modules>
>         <module>benchmarks</module>
>         <module>benchmarks2</module>
>     </modules>
> </profile>

My 2 cents,

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/18/13 1:12 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 18 July 2013 00:10, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Both of these files still refer to the SNAPSHOT release:
>>>
>>> benchmarks/pom.xml
>>> benchmarks2/pom.xml
>>>
>>> Looks like the release plugin did not work properly, or the poms are
>>> not configured correctly.
>> No, as I said, this is my mistake : those poms are belonging to modules
>> taht are activated by a profile, and I forgot to use it.
> Is it possible to auto-activate it when using the release plugin?

Good question...

The pb is that you don't want to run those tests when cutting the
release (those tests take around 30 minutes on a fast computer), and I
don't know how to do a release without running the tests too...

This is a real issue :/

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 July 2013 00:01, Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com> wrote:
> I don't get your point. What is the problem is Java8 is used as soon as the
> 1.7 target is specified ?

You cannot use Java 1.6 to compile source=1.7; the compiler must be 1.7+

The only problem using 1.8 is that it provides different libraries, so
if a developer uses 1.8 locally they may accidentally use an API which
is 1.8 only.

But really the RM should always build using the exact target.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/18/13 3:20 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 18 July 2013 02:10, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 7/18/13 3:04 AM, sebb a écrit :
>>> Also the NOTICE files in the jars are wrong.
>>>
>>> For example, coap starts:
>>>
>>> Apache MINA CoAP (constrained application protocol) 3.0.0-M1
>>> <<
>>>
>>> The leading blank line is wrong, and the version should not be appended.
>> Not sure I grk what you say here...
>>
>> Can you tell me exactly which NOTICE file is incorrect, and what it
>> contains that it should not ?
> The NOTICE file for the COAP jar contains a leading blank line and the
> version is appended to the product name.
>
> I suspect all the other jars have similar problems.

Most certainly.

We don't generate those files, I guess Maven does it automatically for us...

It may be possible to configure tjem, but I don't know how.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 July 2013 02:10, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 7/18/13 3:04 AM, sebb a écrit :
>> Also the NOTICE files in the jars are wrong.
>>
>> For example, coap starts:
>>
>> Apache MINA CoAP (constrained application protocol) 3.0.0-M1
>> <<
>>
>> The leading blank line is wrong, and the version should not be appended.
>
> Not sure I grk what you say here...
>
> Can you tell me exactly which NOTICE file is incorrect, and what it
> contains that it should not ?

The NOTICE file for the COAP jar contains a leading blank line and the
version is appended to the product name.

I suspect all the other jars have similar problems.

Have a look and see.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Also the NOTICE files in the jars are wrong.

For example, coap starts:

Apache MINA CoAP (constrained application protocol) 3.0.0-M1
<<

The leading blank line is wrong, and the version should not be appended.

Ideally the jar Manifests should have some more info; have a look for
example at any of the Commons jars.
They have Implementation and Specification entries; easy to add in the
parent pom.

Also OSGI properties, but they are very complicated to get right so
unless users ask for them, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/18/13 1:44 AM, sebb a écrit :
> On 17 July 2013 22:16, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 7/17/13 2:33 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> 3rd attempt to cut a release. The binary package now contains just what is needed, and the Nexus repository now contains the release.
>>>

>>> A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not approved):
>>>
>>> - GIT tag : "mina-parent-3.0.0-M1" SHA-1 : "35f5b85e65a367dc57eb045b975bfeff5a0bf3cd"
>>>
>>> Project: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/repo
>>> Commit: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/commit/35f5b85e
>>> Tree: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/tree/35f5b85e
>>> Diff: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/diff/35f5b85e
>>>

>>> - Nexus repository:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemina-158/
>>>
>>> Let us vote :
>>> [ ] +1 | Release MINA 3.0.0-M1
>>> [ ] +/- | Abstain
>>> [ ] -1 | Do *NOT*  release MINA 3.0.0-M1
>>>
>>> Thanks !
>>>
>> I gorgot to mention that the packages are available at :
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~elecharny/
> The source layout is very odd.
> I would expect to be able to compare the source archive with SCM, but
> there is an extra src/ directory in the archive.
> That should be removed.

Ahh, crap... The src.xml file contains :

    <!-- Copy sources into '/src' -->
    <fileSet>
      <directory>..</directory>
      <outputDirectory>src</outputDirectory>

which is wrong. TheoutputDirectory should be empty.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17 July 2013 22:16, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 7/17/13 2:33 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> 3rd attempt to cut a release. The binary package now contains just what is needed, and the Nexus repository now contains the release.
>>

>> A temporary tag has been created (it can be removed if the vote is not approved):
>>
>> - GIT tag : "mina-parent-3.0.0-M1" SHA-1 : "35f5b85e65a367dc57eb045b975bfeff5a0bf3cd"
>>
>> Project: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/repo
>> Commit: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/commit/35f5b85e
>> Tree: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/tree/35f5b85e
>> Diff: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/diff/35f5b85e
>>

>> - Nexus repository:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachemina-158/
>>
>> Let us vote :
>> [ ] +1 | Release MINA 3.0.0-M1
>> [ ] +/- | Abstain
>> [ ] -1 | Do *NOT*  release MINA 3.0.0-M1
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
> I gorgot to mention that the packages are available at :
>
> http://people.apache.org/~elecharny/

The source layout is very odd.
I would expect to be able to compare the source archive with SCM, but
there is an extra src/ directory in the archive.
That should be removed.

The source archive should look exactly like the SCM tree, bar a few files.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
In apache-mina-3.0.0-M1-bin.zip,

README.txt refers to LICENSE.txt should be LICENSE

In apache-mina-3.0.0-M1-src.zip,

README.txt refers to LICENSE.txt should be LICENSE
release.properties present as well as pom.xml.releaseBackup

A+
Jeff

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Result (was [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3)

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

the vote was successful, with 3 +1 binding votes, and 2 +1 non binding votes

Ashish
Julien
Emmanuel

Non binding votes :
Jean-François
Jeff

I will close the release later today.

Thanks guys !

(And we are on for M2 asap, with the fixes in the release process to come)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Jeff
>

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > we need at least one more binding vote...
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Cordialement,
> > Emmanuel Lécharny
> > www.iktek.com
> >

> --
> Jeff MAURY
>

> "Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by actually
> working and scaling.
>  - Bjarne Stroustrup
>
> http://www.jeffmaury.com
> http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
> http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
+1

Jeff

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Jeff

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Re: [VOTE] MINA 3.0.0-M1 take 3

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@gmail.com>.
Build like a charm and N&L looks correct for me (even if I'm not a layer :) .

+1