Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Cai Jeff <jf...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2003/06/07 10:12:50 UTC

RE: uknown smtp host - virtual server?

Hi, Noel,

We are using James as  a mail relay, I also find that
when James try to send mail to some address, it
reports unknown smtp host. All the unknow smtp  hosts
all in ip address but not domain name.

For example, one user want to send mail to
xxx@pbc.gov.cn, the james reported unknow SMTP host:
210.82.119.11.
When I use nslookup and set the querytype to MX, the
query result is
pbc.gov.cn     mail    exchanger = 0 210.82.119.11.

In RemoteDelivery.java, when generate urlname:
{new URLName("smtp://" + outgoingMailServer);}
the outgoingMailServer is 210.82.119.11.(with the end
'.'), so when call transport.connect(), it generates
an exception "Unknown SMTP Host".

I use the javamail sample to do the test, if I remove
the end '.' of the ip address , I can send mail out.

I think if we remove the end '.' can solve the
problem.