Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by John Cahill <jo...@msn.com> on 2003/05/01 06:11:27 UTC

why is the manager deploy command disabled...

in Tomcat 4.1.24?

in org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet,

at line 342, we find the comment...
// Process the requested command (note - "/deploy" is not listed here)

and indeed, there is no way for the deploy function to be called. This
disables calls to the manager deploy function and results in the unknown
command message returned to the user.

Is there something wrong with the deploy function that caused the developer
to disable the function?

If possible, could Craig R. McClanahan respond to this?

Thanks

Re: why is the manager deploy command disabled...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Johannes Fiala wrote:
> Hi Remy,
>
> I'm currently using TC 4.1.24 in production, so I'd need the new features
> with TC 4.1.24.
> Does the manager app change a lot with TC 5? I'd prefer to write for TC
> 4.1.24 now (as this satisfies my production need) and then move up to TC
> 5.
>
> If you don't want to bundle Axis, the various functions should move out of
> the ManagerServlet into a separate lib which gets called from Axis or from
> a servlet. I could do this for TC 4.1.24, as I need this anyway to allow
> further enhancement.
>
> If I change something in the original source files, how can I commit these
> changes back into the main Tomcat application (and ensure they come up to
> quality expectations of apache.org)?

Yes, I understand. However, I'll have to insist that new developments
occur in the 5.x branch. They *may* then be ported to 4.1.x on a case by
case situation, but the actual coding and testing must not happen in
4.1.x (which is the stable branch).

Remy

Re: why is the manager deploy command disabled...

Posted by Johannes Fiala <to...@fwd.at>.
Hi Remy,

I'm currently using TC 4.1.24 in production, so I'd need the new features
with TC 4.1.24.
Does the manager app change a lot with TC 5? I'd prefer to write for TC
4.1.24 now (as this satisfies my production need) and then move up to TC
5.

If you don't want to bundle Axis, the various functions should move out of
the ManagerServlet into a separate lib which gets called from Axis or from
a servlet. I could do this for TC 4.1.24, as I need this anyway to allow
further enhancement.

If I change something in the original source files, how can I commit these
changes back into the main Tomcat application (and ensure they come up to
quality expectations of apache.org)?

thx alot
Johannes

Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>
01.05.2003 13:17
Please respond to
"Tomcat Developers List" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>

Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject

Johannes Fiala wrote:
> Hi Remy,
>
> Maybe it should be noted that /deploy is handled at doPut.
> (btw, it does a PUT request :).
>
> BTW - Who is responsible for the manager app? I thought about extending
it
> to an AXIS service and posted an outline how it could be working to the
> Tomcat-userlist. It would be nice to have a server-side
consistency-check
> of the WAR file (using an MD5 attachment or a request parameter inside
the
> Url), so broken JARs etc. don't occur if the connection to the Tomcat
> server is lousy.

Nobody is specifically responsible for the manager webapp, and we need
contributors. As far as new features addition, it will have to be in TC
5 (and be optional; we won't bundle Axis ;-) ).

If you want to expose more of the management layer, you could also help
improve the front end access to JMX (web services (?), etc).

Remy

Re: why is the manager deploy command disabled...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Fiala <to...@fwd.at>.
Hi Remy,

Maybe it should be noted that /deploy is handled at doPut.
(btw, it does a PUT request :).

BTW - Who is responsible for the manager app? I thought about extending it
to an AXIS service and posted an outline how it could be working to the
Tomcat-userlist. It would be nice to have a server-side consistency-check
of the WAR file (using an MD5 attachment or a request parameter inside the
Url), so broken JARs etc. don't occur if the connection to the Tomcat
server is lousy.

Johannes

Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>
01.05.2003 08:31

John Cahill wrote:
> in Tomcat 4.1.24?
>
> in org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet,
>
> at line 342, we find the comment...
> // Process the requested command (note - "/deploy" is not listed here)
>
> and indeed, there is no way for the deploy function to be called. This
> disables calls to the manager deploy function and results in the unknown

> command message returned to the user.
>
> Is there something wrong with the deploy function that caused the
> developer to disable the function?

deploy does a POST, not a GET.

Remy

Re: why is the manager deploy command disabled...

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.