Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Bruns <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/08 01:39:53 UTC

struts2 newbie question

Hi all,

I'm building a non-essential app in struts2 to get my feet wet and ran into
something right away.  We make heavy use of LookupDispatchAction in struts1
and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the same thing in struts2.

I see from the docs that you can use wildcards to map "saveFoo" and
"retrieveFoo" to map to save() and retrieve() respectively but how does one
use a single action and control which method is called based on, for
instance, the value of the submit button?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Re: struts2 newbie question

Posted by Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org>.
Dave Newton wrote:
> Hrm. Did you try it? I didn't actually see an example
> on the http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/submit.html page
> that used <s:submit.../>'s 'method' attribute.

D'oh.  I was looking at example 4 and mistook the s:form tag as a
s:submit tag.  Glad it does what you want.

-Dale

Re: struts2 newbie question

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org> wrote:
> Dave Newton wrote:
> > http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/submit.html
> > Submit takes both action and method parameters;
> > perhaps that's what you're looking for?
>
> The example makes me think that the method attribute
> enables the ability to specify "get" vs. "post" on a

> submit button by submit button basis
> within a single form (presumably via javascript).

Hrm. Did you try it? I didn't actually see an example
on the http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/submit.html page
that used <s:submit.../>'s 'method' attribute.

Anyway, setting the 'method' attribute allows you to
choose which method in the form's action is run, like
the docs say.

<s:form action="submitTests" method="post">
  <s:submit/>
  <s:submit method="sub1"/>
</s:form>

Naked submit:
2007-02-08 07:32:29,437 DEBUG
s2samples.forms.SubmitTestsAction.execute:31 - Enter.

Method attribute set:
2007-02-08 07:29:36,328 DEBUG
s2samples.forms.SubmitTestsAction.sub1:20 - Enter.

Dave

Re: struts2 newbie question

Posted by Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org>.

Re: struts2 newbie question

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Brian Bruns <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] but how does one use a single action and
control
> which method is called based on, for instance, the
> value of the submit button?

http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/submit.html

Submit takes both action and method parameters;
perhaps that's what you're looking for?

d.