Posted to user@flink.apache.org by spoganshev <s....@slice.com> on 2019/07/16 20:02:45 UTC

Checkpoints timing out for no apparent reason

We have an issue with a job when it occasionally times out while creating
snapshots for no apparent reason:

</file/t1761/checkpoints-issue.png>

Details:
- Flink 1.7.2
- Checkpoints are saved to S3 with presto
- Incremental checkpoints are used

What might be the cause of this issue? It feels like some internal s3 client
timeout issue, but I didn't find any configuration of such timeout.

Re: Checkpoints timing out for no apparent reason

Posted by spoganshev <s....@slice.com>.
Switching to 1.8 didn't help. Timeout exception from Kinesis is a
consequence, not a reason.

Re: Checkpoints timing out for no apparent reason

Posted by spoganshev <s....@slice.com>.
Looks like this is the issue:

We'll try switching to 1.8 and see if it helps.

Re: Checkpoints timing out for no apparent reason

Posted by spoganshev <s....@slice.com>.
I've looked into this problem a little bit more. And it looks like the
problem is caused by some problem with Kinesis sink. There is an exception
in the logs at the moment in time when the job gets restored after being
stalled for about 15 minutes:

Encountered an unexpected expired iterator
AAAAAAAAAAGzsd7J/muyVo6McROAzdW+UByN+g4ttJjFS/LkswyZHprdlBxsH6B7UI/8DIJu6hj/Vph9OQ6Oz7Rhxg9Dj64w58osOSwf05lX/N+c8EUVRIQY/yZnwjtlmZw1HAKWSBIblfkGIMmmWFPu/UpQqzX7RliA2XWeDvkLAdOcogGmRgceI95rOMEUIWYP7z2PmiQ7TlL4MOG+q/NYEiLgyuoVw7bkm+igE+34caD7peXuZA==
for shard StreamShardHandle{streamName='staging-datalake-struct',
shard='{ShardId: shardId-000000000005,ParentShardId:
shardId-000000000001,HashKeyRange: {StartingHashKey:
255211775190703847597530955573826158592,EndingHashKey:
340282366920938463463374607431768211455},SequenceNumberRange:
{StartingSequenceNumber:
49591208977124932291714633368622679061889586376843722834,}}'}; refreshing
the iterator ...

It's logged by
org.apache.flink.streaming.connectors.kinesis.internals.ShardConsumer

Re: Checkpoints timing out for no apparent reason

Posted by Andrey Zagrebin <an...@ververica.com>.
Hi Sergei,

If you want just to try increasing the timeouts,
you could change the checkpoint timeout in
env.getCheckpointConfig().setCheckpointTimeout(...) [1]
or s3 client timeouts (see presto or hdfs for s3 configuration, there are
some network timeouts) [2].

Otherwise it would be easier to investigate the reason of failures if you
provide JM and TM logs.

Best,
Andrey

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.7/dev/stream/state/checkpointing.html#enabling-and-configuring-checkpointing
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.8/dev/stream/state/checkpointing.html#enabling-and-configuring-checkpointing>
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.7/ops/filesystems.html#built-in-file-systems
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.8/ops/filesystems.html#built-in-file-systems>

Posted by spoganshev <s....@slice.com>.
The image should be visible now at
http://apache-flink-user-mailing-list-archive.2336050.n4.nabble.com/Checkpoints-timing-out-for-no-apparent-reason-td28793.html#none

Posted by Congxian Qiu <qc...@gmail.com>.
Hi

The image did not show. incremental checkpoint includes: 1) flush memtable
to sst files; 2) checkpoint of RocksDB; 3) snapshot metadata; 4) upload
needed sst files to remote, all the first three steps are in sync part, and
the fourth step in async part, could you please check whether the sync or
async part takes too long time. As the sync part, maybe you could
checkpoint the disk performance during checkpoint, as the async part, maybe
you should checkpoint the network performance and the s3 client.

Best,
Congxian

spoganshev <s....@slice.com> 于2019年7月17日周三 上午4:02写道: