Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@metastuff.com> on 2001/05/01 06:43:07 UTC

taglibs sandbox?

I've been taking a closer look at the Jakarta Commons project recently (well
worth a look!) and thought that the taglibs project could use a similar
structure.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html

The commons project consists of

* Commons Proper: a repository of ready to use components.
* Directory: a catalog of components
* Sandbox: a workspace for component development

The Sandbox sounded a particularly good idea. The way it works in Commons
project is that any committer can ask for commit access to the sandbox area
and use it as a development area. Then when the code is ready for prime time
it can be voted on and moved into the Commons Proper.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to have the same thing in the taglibs
project. The sandbox area would be useful for developers of taglibs. It
would allow us to experiment a little and create new taglibs (possilbly
collectively) then when they are ready, vote to have them 'released' into
the 'proper' area. It would also mean we could move some of the cruft into
the sandbox, leaving only the useful, ready for prime time taglibs in the
'proper' area.

Once the overnight build process is upgraded a little to work with the
online Tomcat installation we could have an online demo of all the taglibs
in both the proper area and the sandbox area. This would make the job of
evaluating new taglibs easier - people will be able to just click on a URL
and browse the documentation, Javadoc, run the examples and look at the JSP
code.

Thoughts?

James

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.

James Strachan wrote:

> I've been taking a closer look at the Jakarta Commons project recently (well
> worth a look!) and thought that the taglibs project could use a similar
> structure.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html
>
> The commons project consists of
>
> * Commons Proper: a repository of ready to use components.
> * Directory: a catalog of components
> * Sandbox: a workspace for component development
>
> The Sandbox sounded a particularly good idea. The way it works in Commons
> project is that any committer can ask for commit access to the sandbox area
> and use it as a development area. Then when the code is ready for prime time
> it can be voted on and moved into the Commons Proper.
>
> I was thinking it might be a good idea to have the same thing in the taglibs
> project. The sandbox area would be useful for developers of taglibs. It
> would allow us to experiment a little and create new taglibs (possilbly
> collectively) then when they are ready, vote to have them 'released' into
> the 'proper' area. It would also mean we could move some of the cruft into
> the sandbox, leaving only the useful, ready for prime time taglibs in the
> 'proper' area.
>
> Once the overnight build process is upgraded a little to work with the
> online Tomcat installation we could have an online demo of all the taglibs
> in both the proper area and the sandbox area. This would make the job of
> evaluating new taglibs easier - people will be able to just click on a URL
> and browse the documentation, Javadoc, run the examples and look at the JSP
> code.
>
> Thoughts?

+1.

jakarta-taglibs is getting busier and this is great.

This however also means we need to get better organized. I was hoping to have
some time to help with this, but until JavaOne I'm in thin air.

In a previous email I had proposed a dashboard. Going with proper, directory, and
sandbox is along the same line, and it is probably a good think to align with
the work being done in commons.

I'm all behind it...

    -- Pierre

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net>.
This sounds like a great idea!

Rich Catlett        rich@more.net |  Confuscious say "Man who stand |
Programmer                        |   on toilet, high on pot!"      |
                                  |                                 |

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
> Setting up a new CVS repository is trivially simple.  I'd much prefer to
> see a new jakarta-taglibs-sandbox for this stuff rather than overload
> jakarta-commons-sandbox.

OK - lets setup a jakarta-taglibs-sandbox CVS repository then. Sounds a good
idea.

James

Re: [Mailer Taglib]

Posted by Jayson Falkner <ja...@jspinsider.com>.
Will do :)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Jayson Falkner" <ja...@jspinsider.com>

[Mailer Taglib]

Posted by Jayson Falkner <ja...@jspinsider.com>.
Hello taglibs-dev,

I'd like to contribute to the Mailer Taglib, but I don't know the correct
way to go about doing so. Right now I have been working on a tag library
that supports the JavaMail API.

http://www.jspinsider.com/jspkit/javamail/jspkit_javamail.html

It looks similar to the Mailer Taglib and there is no sense is making two
taglibs that do the same thing. What I would like to do is merge my code in
to the mailer taglib and help work on that. My goal is to eventually have a
tag library that supports all of the JavaMail API.

Please let me know if this is a possibility and how to go about doing it.

Jayson Falkner
V.P./CTO, Amberjack Software LLC
Jayson@jspinsider.com
www.jspinsider.com

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
So, the sandbox looks ready, per Craig's message.  Have we agreed to start
using it?  (In other words, can I dump a package or two there, or is there
anything I should be waiting for?)

Best,

Shawn

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org>.

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Tue, 1 May 2001, James Strachan wrote:
>
> > From: "Morgan Delagrange" <mo...@apache.org>
> >
> > > Of course, I'm +1 for that idea.  Of course, we could just piggy back on
> > > the commons sandbox if we like.  There are no restrictions (for better or
> > > for worse) on what types of projects go in the sandbox.  We could just
> > > create a taglibs directory at the root of the sandbox, and we'd be ready
> > > to go.
> >
> > +1 for a taglibs directory in jakarta-commons-sandbox.
> >
> > Its probably the easiest thing to do for now. If ever it gets too big or
> > cumbersome we can always move it later to jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.
> >
> > James
> >

> Setting up a new CVS repository is trivially simple.  I'd much prefer to
> see a new jakarta-taglibs-sandbox for this stuff rather than overload
> jakarta-commons-sandbox.
>
> Craig

I agree with Craig.  And all jakarta-taglibs committers should automatically
be granted commit to jakarta-taglibs-sandbox.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Tue, 1 May 2001, James Strachan wrote:

> From: "Morgan Delagrange" <mo...@apache.org>
>
> > Excellent.  As soon as someone has a tag idea that they wish to
> stage, > we'll set it up.
>
> I could add Joe's logging tags there until we get the last +1 vote
> from a committer :-)

+1 for including "logs"; they'll work nicely with things like the
benchmark taglib and the goal of "click stream" analysis (as James
reminded me) and with libraries like datetime as well.

> I can experiment with Ted's new build process while I'm doing it.

I'd encourage that too.

+1 on the sandbox overall as well; like everyone else, I think it's a
great idea, especially given our charter of experimentation.  (I've got
some little things I can include there as well.)

Shawn

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <Ed...@Sun.COM>.
I agree with Morgan.

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <mo...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 1 May 2001, James Strachan wrote:

> From: "Morgan Delagrange" <mo...@apache.org>
>
> > Excellent.  As soon as someone has a tag idea that they wish to stage,
> > we'll set it up.
>
> I could add Joe's logging tags there until we get the last +1 vote from a
> committer :-)

Sure, go for it!

Re: taglibs sandbox?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.