Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> on 2012/11/19 21:15:00 UTC

[MENTOR] how to handle source with Apache 1.1 license

I'm in the process of fixing some of the "code rot" in the kitting process.  Presumably we will want to release another kit shortly.

In our fork of the batik library, one of the files has an Apache 1.1 license which is being flagged by RAT.  Do I just upgrade that to an Apache 2 license or do I leave the license as-is and exclude it from RAT?  I did find the Apache license page [1] but it didn't address this and I wasn't able to find anything else about this.

Carol

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/

Re: [MENTOR] how to handle source with Apache 1.1 license

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/19/12 12:53 PM, "Carol Frampton" <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/12 3 :27PM, "Greg Reddin" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In our fork of the batik library, one of the files has an Apache 1.1
>>> license which is being flagged by RAT.  Do I just upgrade that to an
>>> Apache
>>> 2 license or do I leave the license as-is and exclude it from RAT?
>>

>> I don't know the answer to that. I'm hoping Dave or Bertrand knows.

Carol, we might need to get on batik's mailing list and see if anyone else
knows why that file as a 1.1 license.  It could be third-party and the
copyright doesn't let Apache change the license.  Or maybe you can figure
that out from their SVN history?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [MENTOR] how to handle source with Apache 1.1 license

Posted by Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>.

On 11/19/12 3 :27PM, "Greg Reddin" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com>
>wrote:
>
>> In our fork of the batik library, one of the files has an Apache 1.1
>> license which is being flagged by RAT.  Do I just upgrade that to an
>>Apache
>> 2 license or do I leave the license as-is and exclude it from RAT?
>

>I don't know the answer to that. I'm hoping Dave or Bertrand knows.
>
>However, it does raise another question. I'd assume the more recent
>versions of Batik are licensed ALv2. Could we:
>
>1) Upgrade our fork to be based on a more recent Batik version... or
>2) Preferably, work with the Batik community to get our customizations
>integrated in some way?

Actually I don't think I need to know the answer to this question after
all but I am still curious what the answer is.

I did fork batik 1.7 which is the latest version.  Alex and I have
discussed a few times whether we should try to do #2 but the new compiler
doesn't use batik so I don't think it is worth the effort.  Further
complicating this is that one of the file we changed,
org.w3c.css.sac.LexicalUnit, is no longer in batik 1.7.  I think the file
may belong to the Apache XML commons project so we'd have to work with two
projects.

We have a file in our compiler which is based on a batik file that I see
now has an updated Apache 2 header so I think I can update the copyright
in our file as well and then this issue goes away.

I don't understand why the batik src kit has jar files in it and we have
to download them as part of our build to build batik but that is another
issue.

Carol

Re: [MENTOR] how to handle source with Apache 1.1 license

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:

> In our fork of the batik library, one of the files has an Apache 1.1
> license which is being flagged by RAT.  Do I just upgrade that to an Apache
> 2 license or do I leave the license as-is and exclude it from RAT?

I don't know the answer to that. I'm hoping Dave or Bertrand knows.

However, it does raise another question. I'd assume the more recent
versions of Batik are licensed ALv2. Could we:

1) Upgrade our fork to be based on a more recent Batik version... or
2) Preferably, work with the Batik community to get our customizations
integrated in some way?

I know #2 has been discussed before and I think it was deemed unlikely or
even undesirable. But are our customizations too extreme to perform a #1?

Short of all that, I'm hoping we can just upgrade the license of our fork.
It seems to me that should work.

Greg

Re: [MENTOR] how to handle source with Apache 1.1 license

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Carol Frampton <cf...@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...In our fork of the batik library, one of the files has an Apache 1.1 license which is being flagged by
> RAT.  Do I just upgrade that to an Apache 2 license...

According to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-57, yes.

-Bertrand