Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org> on 1999/12/18 14:29:43 UTC

Re: reworking of cronolog as mod_cronolog (or folding into mod_l

According to Manoj Kasichainula:

>  On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 02:27:27PM +0100, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > So, if we HAVE a logresolve, there's no additional "bundling a bunch
> > of stuff".
>  [...]
> > But I'm
> >     +2
> > for replacing logresolve by cronolog ASAP.
>
>  You've convinced me. +1
>  --
>  Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com - http://www.io.com/~manojk/

+1 to add cronolog (as a program not as module) for 1.3.10.
How about extending mod_log_config with the cronolog features for 2.0?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht                     - I really don't think...
lars@hyperreal.org            - that these signatures are random...

Re: reworking of cronolog as mod_cronolog (or folding into mod_l

Posted by Scott Hess <sc...@avantgo.com>.
As I understand cronolog, it tries to log lines perfectly to logs for the
appropriate time periods (based on the beginning of the request, or the
end?  Makes little difference, I suppose).  So sending a SIGUSR1 might
result in a few lines sneaking from the previous day's logs to the next.

If a cronolog module wants to be able to "perfectly" split across logs
based on time, the parent could open two logfiles (one for the current
period, one for the next period), then the children could internally switch
to the next logfile at the appropriate time.  After the next period begins,
a SIGUSR1 to the parent should work to progress forward to the next
logfile.

Later,
scott

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Mch.SNI.De>.