Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chad Billigmeier <cb...@flycast.com> on 2000/07/11 23:50:54 UTC

Apache::session and Apache::DBI::Oracle headaches

Having a bit of trouble getting apache::session to run with apache::DBI. Is
this due to the fact that Oracle wants AutoCommit on and Apache::DBI has it
off or is there some other magic that I am missing out on? Is anyone using
Apache::Session with Apache::DBI???

The error_log reports finding an existing DBI connection but no data is
written to the tables. Autocommit is off...I remember reading something
about Session::store() but can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help.

On a Solaris
Apache 1.3.12
Perl 5.6.0
mod_perl 1.24
most recent Apache::Session
most recent DBI.pm
Oracle 8i

Chad Alan Billigmeier
Software Engineer
160 Second Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

Re: Apache::session and Apache::DBI::Oracle headaches

Posted by "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jw...@acm.org>.
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Chad Billigmeier wrote:

> Having a bit of trouble getting apache::session to run with apache::DBI. Is
> this due to the fact that Oracle wants AutoCommit on and Apache::DBI has it
> off or is there some other magic that I am missing out on? Is anyone using
> Apache::Session with Apache::DBI???
>
> The error_log reports finding an existing DBI connection but no data is
> written to the tables. Autocommit is off...I remember reading something
> about Session::store() but can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help.

I quote from the Apache::Session::Oracle perldoc:

       The special Apache::Session argument for this module is
       Commit.  You MUST provide the Commit argument, which
       instructs this module to either commit the transaction
       when it is finished, or to simply do nothing.  This
       feature is provided so that this module will not have
       adverse interactions with your local transaction policy,
       nor your local database handle caching policy.  The
       argument is mandatory in order to make you think about
       this problem.

If that isn't enough information, let us know.  Your problem report is
incomplete and confusing, so we will need a more clear picture before we
can provide more help.

Best Regards,
Jeffrey Baker