Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Michael Gustav Simon <mg...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/06 15:41:35 UTC

Security Issue

Hi J2-Users,
to integrate J2 as a "SingleSignOn"-Client, I analyze the login process in
detail.
I think that the redirect to the login.jsp from the LoginJSPViewValveImpl in
the LoginPipeline is not secure.
The username and password will be send to the client in plain text!
The javascript in the body tag will post the data to the servlet container
with the javascript call onload.
What is about the browser cache?

mg

Re: Security Issue

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@gmail.com>.
Randy is correct that the redirect to the page with the onload is no less
secure than the initial form post.

I too was a little concerned about this at first, but after thinking about
it, less so.   And I am very familiar with the reason why they chose to do
it this way.

With tomcat realm authentication, you can't really navigate directly to the
actual login page.  You must first attempt to access a protected resource
and get bounced to the login page.   If you don't go about it this way,  you
get a weird error.  It is a real pain in the butt and a tomcat bug if you
ask me, but whatever.

In any event, this is the work around.  What happens is that the login
portlet isn't the actual login page.  Instead, when you use the login
portlet, it posts to a protected resource.  You then get bounced to the
actual login page, which is the blank page which does the post to
j_security_check on the onload event.

aaron

Re: Security Issue

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.