Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/30 22:52:44 UTC

[DISCUSSION] FlexJS on the server

At one time Flex was a server side component, I think version 1. You would
use MXML documents and when they were requested from the server the
compiler would create the SWF.

For example, you could have, "http://www.mysite.com/Main.mxml?id=10" and
what would be returned was an HTML page with the compiled SWF of Main and I
think you could have query parameters passed to it as well.

Is it possible for Flex 4.11 to be setup like this and is it possible to
setup FlexJS like this (and would it be a good idea)?

Re: [DISCUSSION] FlexJS on the server

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/30/13 1:52 PM, "flexcapacitor@gmail.com" <fl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Is it possible for Flex 4.11 to be setup like this and is it possible to
>setup FlexJS like this (and would it be a good idea)?
The Web-Tier compiler has not been donated to Apache Flex.  When I asked
recently, there wasn't much interest.  I think a key problem is the
compile time and resulting SWF size.  It could work for very simple
things, but not for a serious app.

FlexJS will have smaller SWFs and JS output.  I'm not sure what it takes
to write a server task that picks up a particular suffix and returns an
HTML file.  If we get more interest we can try to donate the web-tier.  It
ships in Adobe's BlazeDS but won't be in Apache's BlazeDS, so you can try
it out with Adobe BlazeDS if you want.