Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Hadar Hod <ha...@google.com.INVALID> on 2016/11/04 02:42:30 UTC

Contributing to Beam docs

Hi Beamers!

I'm Hadar. I've worked on Dataflow documentation in the past, and have
recently started contributing to the Beam docs. I'm excited to work with
all of you and to be a part of this project. :)

I believe the current structure of the website can be improved, so I'd like
to propose a slightly different one. On a high level, I propose changing
the tabs in the top menu and reorganizing some of the docs. Instead of the
current "Use", "Learn", "Contribute", "Blog", and "Project" tabs, we could
have "Get Started", "Documentation", "Contribute", and "Blog".

I applied this new structure in a pull request
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam-site/pull/62>, which is staged
here
<http://apache-beam-website-pull-requests.storage.googleapis.com/62/index.html>.
If you've worked on the website before, you've probably run into this -
note that you'll have to append "/index.html" to each URL.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hadar

Re: Contributing to Beam docs

Posted by Hadar Hod <ha...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I've incorporated some of the changes
you suggested. See the new version staged here
<http://apache-beam-website-pull-requests.storage.googleapis.com/62/index.html>
.

Posted by Davor Bonaci <da...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Stephen Sisk <si...@google.com.INVALID>.
hi!

From the URL Hadar shared, I believe we are using GCS buckets to host the
content. https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/hosting-static-website has
information about hosting static websites. Have we looked at that before?
There's a section of that titled "Optional: Assigning pages" which has more
information about editing website configuration. (you may need to change
some config settings so that GCS knows it's a website before it'll give you
those options)

Stephen

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Hadar,

it looks better for me !

Just a small comment: I think we need to give more visibility to what is
provided by Beam: SDKs/DSLs, I/Os, Runners.

It's one of my intention in the new skin proposal PR
(https://github.com/apache/incubator-beam-site/pull/64) in the Learn and
Overview sections.

Something like what we have in Apache Camel for the components (likely
equivalent to Beam I/Os) would help users IMHO.

Thanks again and welcome aboard !

Regards
JB

--