Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Iain Downie <ia...@bto.org> on 2003/12/05 13:44:36 UTC

2 instances of Tomcat

Hi List,

I found some info on this on web and faqs, but I think my question is a bit
different from the general 2 instances discussions I have found.

Red Hat 7.2 Linux
JDK 1.3.1
Tomcat 4.0.3

All run smoothly. I need to install some WorldPay stuff for testing and
live. They assure me that their servlets will not work on JDK1.3.0+, and
more importantly, will not run on anything above Tomcat 3.2.4.

Can I install this lower Tomcat and a lower JDK? I think I can get away no
bother with the Tomcat, but what about the JDK. I ask as there are 'env'
variables that are set up as TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME. I think I can
duplicate TOMCAT_HOME (ie. TOMCAT2_HOME) and cater for it in the start
files, but what about having two JDK?

Iain

Re: 2 instances of Tomcat

Posted by Graham Reeds <gr...@omnieng.co.uk>.
> All run smoothly. I need to install some WorldPay stuff for testing and
> live. They assure me that their servlets will not work on JDK1.3.0+, and
> more importantly, will not run on anything above Tomcat 3.2.4.

WorldPay has a very smooth payment system.  Several of the products I have
purchased online uses them.  Did you ask whether they plan to upgrade their
payment system to a newer version of TC?

G.

Re: 2 instances of Tomcat

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
2 instances of Java shouldn't be a problem.  Start your second instance of
Tomcat with a script that sets the JAVA_HOME env variable to point to the
second java dir.

You'll have change the ports on the second tomcat instance.

On Friday 05 December 2003 07:44 am, Iain Downie wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I found some info on this on web and faqs, but I think my question is a bit
> different from the general 2 instances discussions I have found.
>
> Red Hat 7.2 Linux
> JDK 1.3.1
> Tomcat 4.0.3
>
> All run smoothly. I need to install some WorldPay stuff for testing and
> live. They assure me that their servlets will not work on JDK1.3.0+, and
> more importantly, will not run on anything above Tomcat 3.2.4.
>
> Can I install this lower Tomcat and a lower JDK? I think I can get away no
> bother with the Tomcat, but what about the JDK. I ask as there are 'env'
> variables that are set up as TOMCAT_HOME and JAVA_HOME. I think I can
> duplicate TOMCAT_HOME (ie. TOMCAT2_HOME) and cater for it in the start
> files, but what about having two JDK?
>
> Iain

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

Re: 2 instances of Tomcat

Posted by Iain Downie <ia...@bto.org>.
Thanks for the tips, I'll be trying this all out next week.
Iain

Posted by Dan Johnsson <da...@omegapoint.se>.