Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/04/10 14:56:32 UTC

[FRIDAY] "Struts Survivor" Trivia Quiz

It's been desperately long since I've done this. But, frankly, it was a busy quarter and it's been tough coming up with questions. But Spring is in the air, and the creative juices are flowing, so welcome to ...

** THE STRUTS SURVIVOR WHO-WE-ARE QUIZ **

In honor our moving (slowly) to a top-level Apache project, let's do a survivor-style quiz about the active Struts Committers. The questions are obscure, so you do NOT need to answer all of them to win :)

----

    PLEASE be sure to reply to HUSTED@APACHE.ORG.

----

Geography

Which Committers hail from Scotland?

Which Committers live in California?

Which Committers live in Georgia (US)?

Which Committers live in Washington state?

Personal Notes

Which Committer has a birthday today (10 Apr)?

Which Committer has a son known to dabble in <gasp/> PHP?

Which Committer is a Van Morrison and C.S. Lewis fan?

Which Commiter likes to monkey around from down under?

Professional Life

Which Committers have published books about Struts?

Which Committers use IntelliJ?

Which Committer is still loving his emacs?

Which Committer is the least likely to use trailing-edge technology like Servlet 2.2?

Which Committers have worked with WebWorks' Jason Carreira?

Which Committer didn't invent the cellular phone?

Which Committers are most likely to down a Guiness? -- No wait, another bad question -- that would be all of them :)

----

    PLEASE be sure to reply to HUSTED@APACHE.ORG.

----

To play, submit answers to THREE or more of the questions. Everyone submitting a correct response to < HUSTED@APACHE.ORG > will be entered in the drawing for an autographed copy of Struts in Action or JUnit in Action (just by Ted I'm afraid). [Hey - if anyone else has autographed books to donate, let me know, and you can have in on the fun too! -- I'm not jealous :)]

    REMEMBER! Submit your answers to < HUSTED@APACHE.ORG > and I'll summarize for the group :)

-----

Hey, what about last time?

Good point. Senior moment :)

Last time, we asked (1) One of the original creators of JUnit now works on a popular open source IDE (with some excellent Struts addins!). Name this computer scientist.
-OR- (2) A SF author, best know for his "edgy" short stories, wrote one of the first Star Treck episodes dealing with time travel. Later, he served as the creative consultant for another popular TV series, in which time travel plays a pivotal role. Name this SF author and his single Star Trek episode.

(1) would be Erich Gamma of GoF, JUnit, and Eclipse fame, and (2) would be Harlan Ellison, City at the Edge of Forever.

We had several correct (and incorrect) responses, from which we selected the lucky winner:

	JOE HERTZ

(Joe, please send your surface mail address to husted@apache.org, and indicate whether you would like JUnit in Action or Struts in Action)

-Ted.

    PLEASE be sure to reply to HUSTED@APACHE.ORG.

Re: [FRIDAY] "Struts Survivor" Trivia Quiz

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's better to reply only to me, rather than clutter up the list. I'll summarize the answers later.

And, the answer to any of the questions would be one or more of the active STRUTS Committers :)

-Ted.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:14:03 -0400, Martin Gainty wrote:
Apache Committer that started IntelliJ was Brett Porter
The others Im working on...

~Martin~

"Thats why I ALWAYS have Chocolate Donuts on my training table" - John
Belushi

Re: [FRIDAY] "Struts Survivor" Trivia Quiz

Calling CGI script

Posted by Alain Van Vyve <Al...@brussels.sema.slb.com>.
My application is using Struts in a Tomcat 4.1.29 environment.
I'm in a situation where an Action has to call a CGI script that will be
responsible to initiate a payment process (third party)

I have  found the way how to modify my Tomcat environment ... that's not
the issue !
My problem is : How can I call a cgi script in my action ?

Thank's

Alain

Re: [FRIDAY] "Struts Survivor" Trivia Quiz

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:56:32 -0400, Ted Husted wrote:
> To play, submit answers to THREE or more of the questions. Everyone
> submitting a correct response to < HUSTED@APACHE.ORG > will be
> entered in the drawing for an autographed copy of Struts in Action
> or JUnit in Action (just by Ted I'm afraid). [Hey - if anyone else
> has autographed books to donate, let me know, and you can have in
> on the fun too! -- I'm not jealous :)]

And this contest quiz will end Thursday, 15 Apr 2004 :)

>    REMEMBER! Submit your answers to < HUSTED@APACHE.ORG > and I'll
> summarize for the group :)

-Ted.