Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by sp reddy <sn...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/15 05:14:52 UTC

multiple search parameter

I have a scenerio where I have more than 15 fields to search from. Any
combination should be valid.
What is the best approach to accomplish this. Eg, user can search from
entering 2 fields or all 15.

Thanks in advance......

Re: multiple search parameter

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.
I'm assuming you are talking about allowing a user to select which fields to
search on and provide values for these search parameters.  If that's
correct, then this seems like a good example for the Criteria API in our
OpenJPA 2.0.x release.  The Criteria API is new for JPA 2.  This allows a
programmatic aspect to query generation.  Pinaki has written a nice white
paper on the Criteria API [1] to get you started.  You can also reference
the JPA 2 spec [2], but that gets a bit dry.  Another reference is the Pro
JPA 2 book [3] that was recently released.  Mike Keith, one of the authors,
was on the JPA expert group with Pinaki and myself and provides an
easy-to-understand view of the JPA 2 spec.

If you can't move to JPA 2 yet, then you could still use the JPQL
capabilities in JPA 1.  But, you will be required to do massive string
manipulation.  Especially since you are attempting to provide a flexible
interface for the queries.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

[1]  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-typesafejpa/