Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2003/09/18 23:10:03 UTC

XMLBeans website

I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping someone will know about.

1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other projects have their website in their source tree, is that common practice?

2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest and it creates the build directory containing the published website on my machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website generated into xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?  Do I just copy the build directory somewhere or is there a more elegant way?  Is there an automated way to have the website generated from the Forrest source?  That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear on how to set that up.

3) There is some nice html formatted documentation that would be great to have integrated with the site.  Does anyone know if there is a way to have Forrest integrate html pages into the Forrest site build?  Or at least a good way for them to co-exist?

thanks for any help here!
rem

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:10:03 -0700
(Subject: XMLBeans website)
"David Remy" <dr...@bea.com> wrote:

> I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest
> ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping
> someone will know about.

I am eager to see :)

> 1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under
> xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other
> projects have their website in their source tree, is that common
> practice?

Maybe, "The Apache Cocoon" (http://cocoon.apache.org/)'s
case gives you a nice suggestion.
I do not know whether there is a *common* practice in apache.org
or not, though.

> 2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest
> and it creates the build directory containing the published website
> on my machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website
> generated into xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?  Do I just copy the build
> directory somewhere or is there a more elegant way?  Is there an
> automated way to have the website generated from the Forrest source?
> That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear on how to set
> that up.

Ask at general@xml.apache.org. They guide you in proper direction,
I suppose. (Before that, I recommend you to checkout the xml-site
module from CVS repo)
Also, Jeff Turner and Apache Forrest team are sure to support you
in the "ForrestBot" area, I suppose.

Dunno. Ask at general@xml.apache.org. (I cc-ed this mail to
general@xml.apache.org)

> thanks for any help here!
> rem

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

"David Remy" <dr...@bea.com> wrote:

> I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest
> ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping
> someone will know about.

I am eager to see :)

> 1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under
> xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other
> projects have their website in their source tree, is that common
> practice?

Maybe, "The Apache Cocoon" (http://cocoon.apache.org/)'s
case gives you a nice suggestion.
I do not know whether there is a *common* practice in apache.org
or not, though.

> 2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest
> and it creates the build directory containing the published website
> on my machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website
> generated into xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?  Do I just copy the build
> directory somewhere or is there a more elegant way?  Is there an
> automated way to have the website generated from the Forrest source?
> That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear on how to set
> that up.

Ask at general@xml.apache.org. They guide you in proper direction,
I suppose. (Before that, I recommend you to checkout the xml-site
module from CVS repo)
Also, Jeff Turner and Apache Forrest team are sure to support you
in the "ForrestBot" area, I suppose.

> 3) There is some nice html formatted documentation that would be
> great to have integrated with the site.  Does anyone know if there is
> a way to have Forrest integrate html pages into the Forrest site
> build?  Or at least a good way for them to co-exist?

Dunno. Ask at general@xml.apache.org. (I cc-ed this mail to
general@xml.apache.org)

> thanks for any help here!
> rem

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

"David Remy" <dr...@bea.com> wrote:

> I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest
> ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping
> someone will know about.

I am eager to see :)

> 1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under
> xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other
> projects have their website in their source tree, is that common
> practice?

Maybe, "The Apache Cocoon" (http://cocoon.apache.org/)'s
case gives you a nice suggestion.
I do not know whether there is a *common* practice in apache.org
or not, though.

> 2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest
> and it creates the build directory containing the published website
> on my machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website
> generated into xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?  Do I just copy the build
> directory somewhere or is there a more elegant way?  Is there an
> automated way to have the website generated from the Forrest source?
> That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear on how to set
> that up.

Ask at general@xml.apache.org. They guide you in proper direction,
I suppose. (Before that, I recommend you to checkout the xml-site
module from CVS repo)
Also, Jeff Turner and Apache Forrest team are sure to support you
in the "ForrestBot" area, I suppose.

> 3) There is some nice html formatted documentation that would be
> great to have integrated with the site.  Does anyone know if there is
> a way to have Forrest integrate html pages into the Forrest site
> build?  Or at least a good way for them to co-exist?

Dunno. Ask at general@xml.apache.org. (I cc-ed this mail to
general@xml.apache.org)

> thanks for any help here!
> rem

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

"David Remy" <dr...@bea.com> wrote:

> I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest
> ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping
> someone will know about.

I am eager to see :)

> 1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under
> xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other
> projects have their website in their source tree, is that common
> practice?

Maybe, "The Apache Cocoon" (http://cocoon.apache.org/)'s
case gives you a nice suggestion.
I do not know whether there is a *common* practice in apache.org
or not, though.

> 2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest
> and it creates the build directory containing the published website
> on my machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website
> generated into xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?  Do I just copy the build
> directory somewhere or is there a more elegant way?  Is there an
> automated way to have the website generated from the Forrest source?
> That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear on how to set
> that up.

Ask at general@xml.apache.org. They guide you in proper direction,
I suppose. (Before that, I recommend you to checkout the xml-site
module from CVS repo)
Also, Jeff Turner and Apache Forrest team are sure to support you
in the "ForrestBot" area, I suppose.

> 3) There is some nice html formatted documentation that would be
> great to have integrated with the site.  Does anyone know if there is
> a way to have Forrest integrate html pages into the Forrest site
> build?  Or at least a good way for them to co-exist?

Dunno. Ask at general@xml.apache.org. (I cc-ed this mail to
general@xml.apache.org)

> thanks for any help here!
> rem

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

__ Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> __

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 02:10:03PM -0700, David Remy wrote:
> I am getting close to having a revised XMLBeans website using Forrest
> ready for publication.  I have a few questions that I am hoping someone
> will know about.
>
> 1) I am thinking of having the website as a top level directory under
> xml-xmlbeans in cvs (a peer to v1 and soon v2).  It looks like other
> projects have their website in their source tree, is that common
> practice?

Yes, most projects have the 'source' for their documentation (XML) in the
source tree, and then the actual rendered HTML/PDF documentation in the
separate 'xml-site' CVS module.

> 2) Given the above, I am able to generate the website using forrest and
> it creates the build directory containing the published website on my
> machine.  What is the strategy for getting the website generated into
> xml.apache.org/xmlbeans?

That's where the xml-site module comes in.  The contents of build/site/
should be imported into xml-site/targets/xmlbeans/.  Then login to
www.apache.org and 'cvs checkout' those files to
/www/xml.apache.org/xmlbeans/

> Do I just copy the build directory somewhere or is there a more elegant
> way?  Is there an automated way to have the website generated from the
> Forrest source?  That is what ForrestBot is for, right?  I'm not clear
> on how to set that up.

The website needs to be periodically updated from CVS (xml-site module).
I think Berin Lautenbach has established a cron job to update XML sites,
so all you need to do in future is render the docs and update
xml-site/targets/xmlbeans.

As xml-site contains the whole xml.apache.org website, it can be a real
PITA to update for people on modem connections.  Forrestbot is a service
which automates the render and commit part of the process.  I can set it
up for xmlbeans once the XML is checked into CVS.

> 3) There is some nice html formatted documentation that would be great
> to have integrated with the site.  Does anyone know if there is a way
> to have Forrest integrate html pages into the Forrest site build?  Or
> at least a good way for them to co-exist?

If HTML content is put in src/documentation/ (not
src/documentation/xdocs), it will be copied through unmodified.

Alternatively, if you want to have the regular Forrest site menus grafted
onto the HTML, you could give them a .ehtml extension and drop them
somewhere in src/documentation/content/xdocs/.  Only contents below the
tweaking may be needed.

There are examples of both these techniques in the Forrest 'seed' site
(type 'forrest seed site' in a clean directory to demonstrate).

Cheers,

--Jeff

(lurking Forrest committer and forrestbot perpetrator;)

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: XMLBeans website

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.