Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@apache.org> on 2006/02/09 01:42:16 UTC

CORBA Incubation setup procedures

I think I need:

    * SVN
          o http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/yoko
    * Jira
    * Mailing lists
          o yoko-dev@geronimo.apache.org
          o yoko-users@geronimo.apache.org
          o yoko-commit@geronimo.apache.org

Regards,
Alan

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
same thing in Harmony.

And I'm betting J2SE is bigger than CORBA :)

geir

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ken,

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
(infra@ dropped from CC on purpose)

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:41:26PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > I think I need:
> >
> >     * SVN
> >           o http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/yoko
> >     * Jira
> >     * Mailing lists
> >           o yoko-dev@geronimo.apache.org
> >           o yoko-users@geronimo.apache.org
> >           o yoko-commit@geronimo.apache.org
>
> Hang on a moment.  I see that Geronimo is cool with it,
> but I don't see any discussion of this proposal on
> general@incubator.apache.org..  just the message saying
> that Geronimo wants to sponsor it.
>
> Before we start setting things up, I'd really like to
> call for some opinions about the proposal from *outside*
> the sponsoring TLP.
>
> Alan's message points out that the proposal is at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CorbaProposal
>
> Anyone on general@incubator.apache.org have any comments
> to make on the proposal?  Even just 'yeah, looks good
> to me' ?

No way. *shrug*.

> Mine is that 22 seems a rather large number (!) of initial
> committers for a podling..

And the amount of publicly archived discussion about it or
what the **** is precisely going on or anything like that is
also shockingly missing.

> If nothing further comes from this message within a couple
> of days, let's go ahead.

Personally and as an ASF member, I think its not a good idea
to have a CORBA implementation under the wings of the geronimo
project (Re: "umbrella projects bad" threads from long ago).

As an incubator PMC member, I don't think the incubator should
be telling the geronimo project that they shouldn't have a
CORBA implementation. As I see it, that's a responsibility for
the geronimo PMC (which obviously seems to disagree), its chair
(eg, you), the ASF board, and ultimately the membership. I think
both you and the ASF board are well aware of what is going on
within the geronimo project and I trust that things will work
out one way or another in the end.

Secondly, as an incubator PMC member, I think the geronimo project
is not fulfilling its part of the incubation process and not
communicating enough at all and its making me very grumpy.

I wrote a rather generic message tot dev@geronimo and
general@incubator about this stuff recently. This is just
another example. The only further action I'll be taking with
regard to this mess is ignoring it until it goes away.

- LSD

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Ken,

I reviewed the proposal and yeah, it looks good to me. (non-binding)

CORBA is a huge piece of work and I'm not surprised that it takes 22.
I'd be surprised if the number of initial committers were less than
13. (random number generator 6..18)

Craig

On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
(infra@ dropped from CC on purpose)

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:41:26PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> > I think I need:
> >
> >     * SVN
> >           o http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/yoko
> >     * Jira
> >     * Mailing lists
> >           o yoko-dev@geronimo.apache.org
> >           o yoko-users@geronimo.apache.org
> >           o yoko-commit@geronimo.apache.org
>
> Hang on a moment.  I see that Geronimo is cool with it,
> but I don't see any discussion of this proposal on
> general@incubator.apache.org..  just the message saying
> that Geronimo wants to sponsor it.
>
> Before we start setting things up, I'd really like to
> call for some opinions about the proposal from *outside*
> the sponsoring TLP.
>
> Alan's message points out that the proposal is at
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CorbaProposal
>
> Anyone on general@incubator.apache.org have any comments
> to make on the proposal?  Even just 'yeah, looks good
> to me' ?

No way. *shrug*.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Ken wrote:

> Before we start setting things up, I'd really like to
> call for some opinions about the proposal from *outside*
> the sponsoring TLP.

Please see the threads around "Changes to Incubator Process(es)" from
January.  There has been some call for the Incubator PMC to have more
control over what comes into the Incubator, but not everyone agrees.  And in
my view it would take some clarification from the Board to change the
current approach.  Jim was going to take that up, or so I had the
impression, but I don't know if the Board has yet considered the issue, or
simply does not see fit to comment.

A CORBA ORB can be a fairly interesting beast, although I'm all for elegant
simplicity.  Multiple realms of parts: the ORB, itself; skeleton and stub
management; IDL and DII support; CSIv2 and IIOP protocols; COSNaming (should
be tied into the Apache Directory Server); etc.  For those who didn't sit on
the CORBA Task Force, or aren't otherwise actively aware of the technology,
a simple introduction is http://www.omg.org/gettingstarted/corbafaq.htm.

As of J2EE 1.3 and later, certain parts of CORBA (specifically, CSIv2 and
COSNaming) are mandatory, so I can see why Geronimo would be interested.
However, according to the the proposal, a complete CORBA ORB is proposed:

  This proposal is to build a compliant OMG CORBA server.

  The developer community will take [the initial contributions]
  as input and produce the best possible CORBA server

In light of that, this could end up heading for TLP status, perhaps with
other people who want to work on the rest of the OMG COS.

	--- Noel

RE: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: CORBA Incubation setup procedures

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@apache.org>.
On 2/8/2006 7:27 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> ALL incubator requests for infrastructure MUST be reflected in an
> appropriate status file under
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html
>
> before they are requested.  There are no exceptions.
>
> ....Roy

I shall do this.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.